Friday, August 28, 2020

Hike: Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail, Yacolt, WA

Getting There

I took L-1200 out of Washougal to get there. It's 7 miles up a gravel road from the end of the pavement on Skamania Mines Road and it's 18 miles from Washougal. You can also reach the trailhead from the north via Yacolt.

The Hike

Holy molé! Difficult hike but spectacular views. Mts: Rainier, St Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson

Length: 6.3 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 2,096 feet
Grade: 12.6%
Type: Out & Back
Duration: 4.5 hours 

Narrow path in the trees, shade

Out in the sun, a bit rougher trail

L to R: Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Adams

L to R: Mt Hood, a hiker on the ridge, a faint Mt Jefferson in the right corner

Looking towards the west, vague outline of the Columbia River

Haggard but still smiling

Trail Review

It deserves the Difficult rating. :) I’d estimate that 75% is on a decent incline and rough going (rocky path). You can pick some good lines through some of the wider sections. The other 25% is more or less flat or slightly declining. There’s a well marked right turn near the summit. You go passed a campsite and up another rocky section to the top. The payoff is delayed until the last turn. You can see Rainier, St Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, and even the Columbia. Spectacular views! Unfortunately the views from the trail include clear cuts, big swaths of missing forest and the access roads."

My trail review on AllTrails: