Sunday, October 4, 2020

Road Trip: Cape Disappointment, WA; St Helens, OR; Warrior Rock, Sauvie Island, OR

This is a five-part, incongruous multi-day trip. First was the hike to Warrior Rock Lighthouse on Sauvie Island. Next was the trip to St Helens, OR to see the bell. Then, this long day trip to the coast to Cape Disappointment. Most recently, I took another trip to St Helens, OR to see the 1/2 scale replica of the Warrior Rock Lighthouse and the bell again. I'm not currently scheduled to go but the 5th part will be a trip to West Point Light in Seattle.

Photographed: Oct 3, 2020

 The Life of a Bell

Last weekend I hiked/walked to the Warrior Rock Lighthouse on Sauvie Island. The current lighthouse doesn't look like much; a small concrete structure with mediocre graffiti art around the base. After a quick internet search, I found it had an interesting history going back to the late 1800s. 

The original Warrior Rock Lighthouse was built in 1889 and "had living quarters below and an oil lamp beacon light with lens and a hand-cranked fog bell on top."

"The fog bell was cast in 1855 at the J. Bernhard & Co. foundry in Philadelphia was originally installed at the Cape Disappointment Light at the mouth of the Columbia River" (1856) and later at the West Point Light in Seattle (1881).

In 1969 A barge hit the Warrior Rock Lighthouse "destroying the foundation and disabling the light and bell" The bell was further damaged during removal, "putting it out of commission". "It is now outside the Columbia County Courthouse in St. Helens."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Rock_Light

The Drive

As per usual, I don't always have a solid plan when I go out exploring. I actually drove south toward downtown and fueled up at the gas station by Broadway Toyota. Then, hopped on I-5 north and zoomed passed Columbia Blvd.

When I reached Woodland, I considered exploring around Mt St Helens. The air was not good for hiking, for example a trip to Norway Pass, so that was out.

By Kalama I'd decided a visit to Cape Disappointment & Long Beach via Hwy 4. 

It was a pretty chill drive, not much traffic heading west. 

Cathlamet is a crossing point via ferry to Oregon to Hwy 30. It seemed like a good spot to stretch the legs and snap a couple of photos. While not totally obvious in the photos, you could see the brown haze over the Portland area in the distance.

Cathlamet (southeast view), Julia Butler Hansen Bridge (WA-409)

Cathlamet (southwest view), Columbia River/Ryan Island

It was good to reach the coast finally. I cruised up the Long Beach peninsula but chose not to get anything to eat. It was a little ways south on Hwy 101 to Ilwaco and the lighthouse (Cape Disappointment and North Head).

View from Beard's Hollow View Point

I'd been to the North Head lighthouse a few times but not sure if I've been to Cape Disappointment. I don't think I realized there were two lighthouses in this area. 

Cape Disappointment Lighthouse

The Cape Disappointment Lighthouse is closed due to the pandemic but the Battery Harvey Allen @ Fort Canby are open. There is a trail to the lighthouse from the Battery/Fort parking lot but it's closed as well.

It's similar to the Battery at Fort Stevens.

Trail from Fort Canby parking lot

Battery Harvey Allen

Battery Harvey Allen

Battery Harvey Allen

Battery Harvey Allen

Battery Harvey Allen (sacrifice pit) :)

Outside the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center at Cape Disappointment is closed due to the pandemic but the views from the grounds are amazing. The Center sits on top of the Battery.

Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center
Ocean view


Selfie among the snakes

Return home

I messed up and didn't check out the jetty. I mistook the park entrance as just gate for the campground. I bet my Discovery Pass would have been enough for entry, if anyone was even in the booth. It was about 5 pm and I still had a 90 min drive back home. I drove through Ilwaco and south on Hwy 101 to the Astoria-Megler Bridge then returned back to Portland via Hwy 30.