Saturday, June 12, 2021

Hike: Ant Hill Trail, Wahtum Lake, Mt Hood, OR

 

AllTrails map

AllTrails map

Getting There

Since Vista Ridge was bust and it was early I set back out on Lolo Pass Road toward Lost Lake. I knew that place would be packed with people I continued on to Hood River. I saw a road and read the sign in my rearview mirror. Wahtum Lake, 10mi. Hmm.. Intriguing. I stupidly stopped in the road but quickly realized I was a hazard and drove ahead to find somewhere safe to turn around.

The road climbed into the forest as expected. There were a couple of side road that weren't marked but I took a chance and took the fork that went up.

There were a few places with lots of rocks on the road, Yikes! I encountered a couple of cars so I felt better that I was on the right road. 

At a blind section I nearly had a run-in with another car. Sudden braking in the Jeep is weird. I stalled it but backed down to make room for the other car to pass. I played it off as if "I meant to do it!".

When I got to the campground, I found a spot to park. I had no cell service so I just scanned the options and went towards to trail that climbed up, Ant Hill Tr. 406B.


The Hike

Length: 4.66 miles 
    (incl. Ant Hill Tr. 406B, Rainy-Wahtum Trail, Wahtum Lake Trail/Express)
Elevation Gain: 697 feet
Type: Out & Back

I walked by the campsite across from the parking lot but missed that sign for the lake trail that was behind it. I only saw the forest road and the trail sign behind the pit toilet for the Ant Hill Trail 406B. I figured I get some views.

I had to climb over a few trees and under one of them but the trail was in good shape. I was hyperaware again like I was at Vista Ridge. I talked to myself loudly and made up silly songs & lyrics. I like how Les Stroud carries a harmonica but jokes that making his presence known could be good or bad but you're just trying to prevent any surprises. 99% of the time, the critter wants nothing to do with humans. It's when they're hungry, hurt, or being protective of cubs that bad stuff can happen.

This kind of hike is different but I wouldn't say less enjoyable. While humans are the most dangerous apex predators, I'm just a solo hiker on a new trail who is still pretty novice to this stuff. I wish I had a hiking partner (human or canine).

I made an agreement to myself to help calm my nerves a bit. I would just go to the outcrop, take some photos, and head back down and go to the lake. I had a purpose, focus, goal.

I hiked passed the clearing and saw it went back into the trees. I know now that it continues and intersects with the Herman Creek trail and makes a great 4+ mile loop back to the trailhead.



View from the outcrop above Wahtum Lake

Another view, Wahtum Lake and Mt Hood

Another view from the outcrop

View looking north

Silver lupine (*I think)

Unknown flora

Steep hillside


When I got to the parking lot/CG. I set out on the trail I thought went down to the lake, the Rainy-Wahtum. After about a mile I realized it wasn't descending and was actually climbing.

Actually, it parallels the Ant Hill Trail and the PCT North round.

I turned around after coming around a corner and seeing a long gradual climb.

After returning to the trailhead, I found the lake trail. Duh. Haha.

The long route is 0.6 miles, and is an easy walk to the water.


View of outcrop from below

Closeup of outcrop

Lake view & marker for PCT North & South


Above, at the CG, I'd seen the sign for the Horse route and Express but it didn't register. On the way back up, I saw the turnoff for the Wahtum Express! Stairs!!! Huge 6x6" treads. Hundreds of them. Incredible. Someone's labor of love for sure.

Wahtum Express

Wahtum Express


---

AllTrails: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/oregon/wahtum-lake-to-tomlike-mountain