Thursday, August 19, 2021

Hike: Hamilton Mountain Trail plus Little Beacon Rock, Stevenson, WA

AllTrails maps

 

Getting There 

See previous posts for directions. Spring for the annual Discover Pass for $30/yr instead of paying $10/day at the trailhead.

I got a late start, not leaving Portland until around 12:30-1pm. I picked this hike because I wanted some place close and challenging.

The Hike

Distance: 6.30 miles*
Elevation Gain: 2,307 ft**
Moving Time: unk
Avg Pace: unk
Calories: unk
Total Time: unk

* I accidentally canceled my trail recording on the ascent. I restarted it from the top of the hike to capture the descent but just to estimate the distance to add the section to Little Beacon.
** Elevation Gain is based on a previous hike.

This hike has become my go-to spot to keep in shape. It’s close to home, just the right distance and elevation gain for a quick afternoon hike. 

I know I made my best ascent time to-date. I crushed it. I love my new pack and the hiking pole side strap. Actually, I never used the poles. This was the first time ever that I didn't deploy them one. I kind of liked having both hands free for scrambling. For practice I took the difficult route down from Little Hamilton. I only had one slip/close-call after I'd made it to the trail. Dammit. Those 1" rocks that act like marbles. I need to be able to identify this kind of stuff better and slow way down ... or get out the dang hiking poles.

Little Hamilton Mountain

The real treat of this hike was the side trip on the way down to check out Little Beacon Rock. By the time I've reached the power lines and the end of the trail was in sight (not really but it's the first/last segment of the trail), I've always said "next time". Well, this was the time! I peeled off to the Hadley Trail. It traverses below the power lines so you still feel immersed in the forest. 


Wow! This is what I love to find, a craggy peak to climb and get some views. This reminded me of the little spot (6070') I found next to Pinnacle Peak. This trail is well-worn and easy to follow. I climbed out onto the point to rest and enjoy the views.

My selfie from Little Beacon Rock (Beacon in bg)
Northwest view from Little Beacon Rock

Beacon Rock + Columbia River

Pontificating:

I don't do this part enough, stopping to enjoy the views. Often, I'm weary of the time and making sure I have enough to make the trip back to the trailhead. Joey Coconato comments in many of his videos that he never gets an early start, often leaving after 12noon. This is about route planning and not trying to cover too much ground, leaving time to smell the wildflowers, enjoy the views, cook & setup camp.

With day hikes, if I just start a little earlier, I would not feel rushed to 'get back down'. I'm cautious about hiking too early in the morning or too late in afternoon/early evening as there is likely to be peak feeding periods for critters.

Note: I was surprised walking through the Hadley Campground that none of the trash cans were bear-proof. I'm pretty sure I've seen bear poop near Phlox and Hardy Creek. I would like to get to a higher level of comfort when hiking alone. I follow good practices (carrying bear spray but not always, carrying noise makers (bell) and talking/whistling, looking for signs like poop or scratched trees, etc). After seeing Joey's video where they had a bunch of encounters, it says a few things: (1) it's gonna happen if you spend time outdoors, (2) it doesn't mean a sighting = an attack, (3) follow you gut instinct, caution, (4) I need to find some people to do back-country hikes with.