Sunday, February 6, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain/Hardy Creek Loop, N. Bonneville, WA

AllTrails Map

Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville. Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

I was kind of surprised to find 4 empty parking spots at just after noon in the main parking lot. There was an attendant and the upper parking lot was open (but full). It's all about timing and the Discover Pass carries some influence over people that pay by the day.

The Hike

Length: 7.34 mi
Elevation gain: 2,201 ft
Moving time: 2:59:47
Total time: 3:11:22
Avg. pace: 24:31
Calories: 1,584 (AllTrails), 3,315 (Fitbit)
Steps: 18,499 (Fitbit)
Zone Mins: 73 (Fitbit) - 57 (Fat burn), 16 (Cardio/Peak)
Floors: 240 (Fitbit)

This marks my 5th hike of 2022, 35 miles so for and over 10,000 ft of elevation gain. I've hiked every weekend so far and feel like in good shape to maintain (and improve) my fitness.

The trail from the parking lot to the top is in good shape after lots of snow and wind and blown-down trees. I think there is one tree to clear towards the top, easy to step over. 

The ridge from the top to the Saddle is pretty slushy but I still benefited from microspikes. There are several obstacles to get thru, over, around but it didn’t slow me down too much. A couple of tree branches tried to steal my hat!

Don's Cutoff (AllTrails Map)

I opted to take Don’s Cutoff instead of the Equestrian Trail.

I’d already taken off the microspikes and decided I would do without. There was quite a bit of snow but lots of debris (needles, twigs) that gave good traction. I got stopped for a minute and had to check the map. Thank goodness! 

There’s a lot of snow on the Hardy Creek trail from Don’s Cutoff and the pit toilet. Pretty normal the rest of the way.



AllTrails Map:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/afternoon-hike-a4c42bf--229