Saturday, June 18, 2022

Hike: North End of Forest Park 18, Portland, OR

AllTrails map

 

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.  

I've been slightly wary of parking at popular hiking trailheads since hearing about the rash of break-ins at the Newberry Road Trailhead (N end of Wildwood Trail) and my own debacle at work. Sucks. Nevertheless, I figured I've done all I can do like locking the console and glove-box and not leaving any of valuable visible or stuff in the back like before the break-in. I parked in a highly visible area and (knock on wood) no issues.

The Hike

Length: 10.31 mi
Elevation gain: 2,133 ft
Moving time: 3:21:58
Total time: 3:24:12
Avg. pace: 19:36
Calories: 1,780

Steps: 22,436
Zone Mins: 37
Floors: 240
Calories: 1,606

This was my first full loop hike since Feburary. It felt good to be out there despite the rain. It was muddy but warm so it was fine. There was definitely spring overgrowth in the creek/ravine but it was pretty well beaten back, only a few ferns and blackberry vines to get out of the way.

The 800 ft climb up BPA Road took about 24 mins. Pretty great considering I hadn't been able to exercise for a while. No major issues with IT band in right knee but it was complaining a little bit.