Sunday, September 25, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain, Hardy Creek, Little Beacon, N Bonneville, WA

 

AllTrails map

Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville. Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

The Hike

Length: 9.13 mi
Elevation gain: 2,493 ft
Moving time: 3:36:01
Avg. pace:
23:40
Calories:
2,170
Total time:
3:55:45
Steps: 21,385 (Fitbit)
Floors: 248 (Fitbit)
Calories: 3,216 (Fitbit)

It's been a minute since my last visit to Hamilton Mountain.. It was my first hike since the MSH attempt. I was good to reach the top and continue to the Saddle and Little Beacon.

I tried an experiment, somewhat planned, somewhat impromptu.

I didn't eat much and was hemming and hawing for most of the morning. I finally set out on Hwy 14 around 2pm. I got some Gatorade, a sandwich, and a couple of power bar thingies.

As I made my way up the sections, I was feeling a bit worn down, similar to how I felt during the MSH hike. When I reached the switchback under Little Hamilton, I started sipping the Gatorade. I didn't help right away but I feel a little boost and kept forging ahead. I was passed by an older guy and I was catching up to a couple with a dog.

They all pulled away and up the mountain. I saw the older guy on his descent but the couple were headed to the Saddle as well. I passed them on the ridge.

I finished the entire bottle of Gatorade and felt energized.

On Hardy Creek, I passed a guy with a tripod and thought, this guy is going to be hiking in the dark.

I did make it down to Little Beacon just as the sunset was dipping below the horizon, Archer Mountain(?).

Beacon Rock from Little Beacon

Sun setting to the west

Little Beacon

Soon to be muddy trail to Hardy Falls

Gorgeous view of the Saddle and Hamilton Mtn

Requisite Selfie from Little Beacon