Sunday, November 20, 2022

Hike: Lewis & Clark Discovery Greenway Trail, Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge II, Washougal, WA

Looking west; Columbia River

Getting There

Take Hwy 14 E from Vancouver, WA (Downtown) for about 20 miles. The newly opened parking lot is located 1.5mi from the 32nd St roundabout, on the right (south). There's room about 15 cars and one bus. (There's a pit toilet as well.)

---

Originally, I was heading into the Gorge to hike Hamilton or Dog Mountain but when I got on Hwy 14 in Vancouver I could see the air was a hazy brown. I checked my AQI app and it showed 75+. Furthermore, the wind was really blowing. I was concerned about trees coming down on the highway and on the trail.

Before Cape Horn I doubled back and aborted my plan. I was deja vu from last weekend when I did the same thing and ended up going to the coast where there was breathable air.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the car so I figured I'd at least get some exercise at Steigerwald Lake. There were only a few cars in the lot.

The Hike

Length: 7.21 mi
Elevation gain: 138 ft
Moving time: 1:59:51
Total time: 2:04:17
Avg. pace: 16:37
Calories: 1,204

See previous post from May 1st, 2022 for some more details.

It was pretty cold even the sun was shining bright. I donned my winter jacket, light gloves, and beanie. I left my poles behind. 

On the ridge/levee from the parking lot to the Lewis & Clark Discovery Greenway Trail, the wind was strong enough that I had to lean into it.

On the straightaway, it was a strong headwind.

I passed a woman with two friendly dogs. She was trying to get them to stop jumping up but I didn't care. I pet the pupper away and laughed.

Near the east side of the closed Art Trail where it dips down a bit, there wasn't any wind; a nice reprieve. 

On the first bridge, next to the Art Trail, there were two metal Chinook salmon sculptures hanging off the side. Both were getting tossed around by the wind and bashing into the side of the railing.

In the ditch heading to the river, a deer was stopped about 100 ft away, just turning its head.

I could see small flocks of birds trying to fly but they couldn't go very far before having to set down again.

I walked all the way to the M bar J ranch fence.

On the way back to took the detour to Redtail Lake. Unfortunately, the large, bronze insects were not on the display on the 2nd bridge. Maybe there are removed when the Art Trail is closed. I made a comment on my AllTrails post.

AllTrails map

Columbia River (in distance: Mt Hood, Crown Point)

Redtail Lake without much water


Photography fun; Redtail Lake bridge