Friday, August 4, 2023

Hike: Latourell Falls, Columbia River Gorge, Corbett, OR


Getting There

Take I-84 E to Exit 28 (Bridal Veil), then turn right at the Angel's Rest parking onto Historic Hwy 30 for about 3 miles to the Latourell Falls parking lot.

The Hike

Length: 2.41 mi
Elev. gain: 679 ft
Moving time: 58:54
Avg pace: 24:24
Calories: 594
Total time: 1:15:31







To continue with my exploration of volunteering opportunities outdoors, I'd signed up with the Trailkeepers of Oregon for a shift at Latourell Falls. I'd visited many of the waterfalls in the Gorge and hiked several of them but not this one. While not required, I figured I'd be a better steward and representative of TKO if I'd actually hiked the trail!

I was more than pleasantly surprised. I took the counterclockwise loop to the upper falls. It turns out this is the best way to see the waterfall from the parking lot. This late in the summer, it's still flowing quite nicely.





After the preview of the falls, the trail winds north under Hwy 30 to a park.



From the park, the trail climbs rather quickly with only short switchbacks. There are a couple of junctions that aren't marked well and I whipped out my phone to confirm which direction to take. Note: On the ascent, take the right turns. I suspect if you take left turns you'll discover they dead-end.

I funally reached at viewpoint and stopped for a few minutes. Given my recent roving experience and confidence engaging the public, I chatted with a couple of out-of-town hikers for over 10 mins. They were happy to learn about what I knew about the location and Gorge in general but admitted it was my first time on this trail. We talked about the flora and some other hiking options they could make in the later afternoon. We said our goodbyes and I continued on to the Upper Falls.

Upper Falls


As I completed the loop, there is one more viewpoint to get a good look at Latourell Falls.

Bonus

On my way home, instead of going back to the freeway on-ramp at Bridal View/Angel's Rest Trailhead, I wanted to stop at Portland Women's Forum State Scenic Viewpoint. About 0.5 miles from Latourell Falls (before Figure 8 Loops on Hwy 8), I saw two black bears, a mama and her cub about 30 feet in front of me. They had descended an incredibly steep trail and sprinted across the road, disappearing into the trees again. It was the first time I'd ever seen bears IRL. What a treat!