Friday, September 15, 2023

Hike: Hamilton Mountain + Hardy Creek Loop, N Bonneville, WA

Selfie from Little Hamilton Mtn

Getting There

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

It must be past the summer tourist season because there were a bunch of open spots on the parking lot.

Apparently, I didn't clean my water bottles out well enough and my 32 oz green one had spots of mold inside. Fuck. I'd brought my Sea-to-Summit 6L pouch that was about 1/2 full and ended up strapping it to my pack. Good thing I had it because it was a hot one in the Gorge.

The Hike

Length: 7.69 mi
Elev. gain: 2,270 ft
Moving time: 3:10:06
Avg pace: 24:43
Calories: 1,916
Total time: 3:45:40








After a doozy of a week, moving out of my house and enduring the long process including the closing, I needed a hike. This was the first hike since my MSH summit last Wednesday. My feet were still hurting a bit.

I hadn't had any food in the morning so I was wondering how I would do. I gulped a can of coconut water at the car and munched a handful of nuts 'n' dried fruit.

At Baby Hamilton, a trail runner past me and didn't have any gear, i.e. water. Wow!

I knew I was doing the Saddle-Hardy Creek Loop but I wanted to stop at Little Hamilton for the views. To my dismay, I saw that some asshat had chiseled out the USGS Survery Marker and stolen it. What a P.O.S! I took a photo of it back in May 2021, but I know it was still there when I was there in July.


Photo from May 29, 2021

I looked towards the switchbacks above and could see the trail runner disappear into the trees. I continued onward. I was a bit tired, energy-wise, but my legs felt good. I drank a lot of water+electrolytes. I was finishing my Nuun tablets. I took a lot short breaks to snack and drink fluids.

Just before the last turn and straightaway to the top, I finished my drinky drink. I gave me the fuel I needed to finish strong. I knew I had more water and electrolytes - Liquid I.V. At the top, I stopped for a few minutes, then continued to the Saddle.

A little way along, I stopped at a place where I could prop my back up and refill my bottle from the pouch.

At the MSHI happy hour last week, I'd talked with the trail work manager about gathering intel about the BRSP since I'd mentioned I hike there a lot. I was making mental notes about downed trees and other things that seemed noteworthy. The big item in my mind was the stolen USGS marker.

I carefully avoided touching any bushes lest they be poison oak or ivy. I was in shorts and short-sleeved shirt.





It was empty out there on the Saddle. So peaceful and rewarding to bask in the sun and enjoy the views.

As usual recently, I took Don's Cutoff Trail down to Upper Hardy Creek. About 2/3rd of the way down, I stopped and closed my eyes. It was so quiet. I thought about the noise from my former house from the trucks, train, PIR, crazy lady across the street. No more. But also, that I don't stop and listen enough when I'm hiking.

I didn't see anyone until I was back to Rodney Falls.

One person stopped me to ask about a pool of water. I said they could climb down to the water but that everything was really dry this time of year, just a trickle. I wonder what they were expecting.. maybe a pool they could swim in?? 

I skipped Little Beacon this time around. All in all, a good hike.