Saturday, January 27, 2024

Hike: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail IV, St Helens, OR

Getting There

From Hwy 30, cross the bridge to Sauvie Island and head north passed the store. Turn right onto NW Reeder Rd and take it all the way to the end. Just before the beaches, the road turns to dirt.

A parking permit is required on the island: https://sauvieisland.org/visitor-information/park-permits/

The Hike

Distance: 6.41 miles
Elevation Gain: 84 feet








 

 

After the Jan 2024 snow storm and ice storm that came after it, I was itching to get out on the trail again. I knew the Gorge was still in rough shape with trees down, ice, road closures, etc. I figured I would be able to get to the lighthouse without too much trouble.

I also wanted to try out my Osprey 65L pack that had the horrible squeak whenever I got moving. During the sequestration, I applied silicone spray but it made it smell horrible so I washed it, intending to sell it back to Next Adventure. To my relief, the squeaks were gone for the most part. I don't recommend the route I took to get it fixed but in the end it worked!

As soon as I left the parking lot, I encountered really muddy conditions and big puddles. I'd planned accordingly, bringing my older boots but I was still weary about getting all the way to the lighthouse. It was just mucky and slippery.

Muddy trail

I got some confidence when I passed a couple on their way back to the trailhead and noticed another couple with a dog. They ended up stopping at clearing next to the water. I didn't talk to them, but it seemed liked they had gone as far as they wanted in these conditions; the dog looked pretty dirty - LOL.

After a short distance, the muddy mess was buried under a thick layer of leaves and I was able to keep a decent pace without slipping and sliding. This renewed my resolve to get all the way to the end of the trail.






Eventually, those people started back to the parking lot so I had the area to myself. I poked around for a bit, marveling at the quietness, fog, and occasional boat.

It was getting later in the day and since the sky was overcast, I wanted to make it back to the car with daylight to spare.

Somewhere along the way, I noticed some bird was squawking a lot, as if I was getting too close to a nest or something; they were warning other birds about danger, me! I looked up and saw two bald eagles. There was another one on a pylon in the river. After awhile, one of the birds on branches above me flew off. It had darker feathers and the other birds took off after it. It would land on a different tree and just as the other eagle landed next to it, it took off again. Maybe the male was trying to mate with a female and she didn't want any part of it. They continued this behavior in a semi-circle around me. I also saw a large nest in the tree tops.


About half way back, I passed three guys. When I reached the parking lot, there was only one other car remaining besides mine. It began to sprinkle just as I was driving out.