Thursday, February 22, 2024

Hike: Hamilton Mountain + Hardy Creek Loop, N Bonneville, WA


Getting There

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

For a beautiful day, there were only about 8 cars in the lot so ample open parking spots. I parked near the playground + bathrooms.

The Hike

Length: 9.42 mi
Elev. gain: 2,405 ft
Moving time: 4:38:50
Avg pace: 29:35
Calories: 2,816
Total time: 5:22:55
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

What a difference a month makes! We've had a couple of periods of springlike weather in February in Portland while the Gorge has had more wintry temperatures and precipitation. The Oregon side of the Gorge is more often shrouded in shadows while the Washington is getting more sun.

The Hamilton Trail is snow-free all the way to Baby Hamilton (top of switchbacks) where it becomes patchy and really slushy. There was a little on the short trail up to Little Hamilton but it was clear. The views were epic. I wanted to stop here on my ascent since I was planning to do the Hardy Creek loop.

The views and weather was amazing. When I reached the last set of switchbacks in the trees, I was pretty always on snow. It was so soft, it slowed me down a bit. Near the top, I could hear a pair of hikers on their way up. I stopped at the top to enjoy the views and they arrived a few minutes later. The snow pack at the summit made it a little easier to see over the bushes toward Bonneville Dam, Dog Mtn/Wind Mtn & the Columbia River to the east.

A few minutes after that, a pair of hikers arrived from the north, the Saddle. I asked how it was and they reported it was clear but the traverse was a bit challenging.

I wished the four other hikers a good descent and rest of their trek and set out towards the Saddle. For a while, there were a few areas where I had to duck under low branches and tread over postholes. I sort of thought they had exaggerated a little, NBD!

Well, I finally encountered some blowdown and it was definitely tricky to get around, esp. since the snow was so soft and unstable. There was one spot where I had to climb down, then back up and around a fallen tree. The snow was really deep here. I had to step down again about 4 feet to rejoin the trail.

As soon as I stepped down, the snow under my foot gave way and I tumbled in slow motion into the tree. Crikey! My hand and the handle of my pole disappeared into the snow. I was a bit like a turtle stuck on my back. I grabbed the tree branch or root and pulled myself up. Fortunately, no snow got into my pack and I didn't hurt myself.

I dusted myself off and continued on. A little reminder it could have been worse and to be vigilant. I'm careful with my movements but stuff can happen.

The snow still covered the trail below where it usually clears out. It wasn't until I reached the Saddle when I found bare rock again. There were a few patch but the sun and warm air had melted most of it. On the far side, a large raven landed near me and I snapped a few pics.

I continued on. I decided to take the Equestrian Trail down instead of Don's Cutoff, my usual route lately. The snow made it easier to walk on the rocky road. I imagined that couple coming up this section. It's long and straight. 

Along the way, I stopped several times to revel in the beauty. "So fortunate to be able to come here."

There is a lot of work for WTA crews to clear the trail. Near Rodney Falls, a large tree has fallen across the trail in two spots where you have to crawl through a jumble of branches and roots.

I kept catching up to a pair of hikers so I stalled to add a cushion between us.

The sun was still pretty high in the sky but I knew the views & lighting would be great from Little Beacon. My legs and feet was really sore but I mustered the energy to do one last scramble to the viewpoint. I believe I was crawling up an ancient volcano plug.

Epic hike!

 
The Saddle looking northwest

Rodney Falls

The trail by Little Beacon

View from Little Beacon

Another view from Little Beacon

Little Hamilton & Hamilton Mountain

The Saddle

Beacon Rock from Little Beacon

Bonneville Dam


The Hamilton Mountain Trail

Equestrian Trail