Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Hike: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail II, St Helens, OR


Getting There:


From Hwy 30, cross the bridge to Sauvie Island and head north passed the store. Turn right onto NW Reeder Rd and take it all the way to the end. Just before the beaches, the road turns to dirt. There are big sections of washboarding.

A parking permit is required on the island: https://sauvieisland.org/visitor-information/park-permits/

The Hike:

Length: 6.5 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 42 feet
Type: Out & Back
Duration: 2 hours

This time I didn't stop at the lighthouse because there were some people over there already and I figured I'd give them space since I'd seen it before last Sept 2020.

When I reached the cove where the lighthouse is, I continued north on beach. I was going to see if I could get around the other side to see St Helens and the courthouse where the bell and 1/2 scale light is located but gave up when the shore sort of ran out.

The tide was really low on the Willamette so there you could see well beyond the shoreline. I stopped briefly at this concrete structure that seemed like a bunker/lookout but there was just sand underneath.

Low tide

Concrete structure

View of lighthouse from down the beach

Lighthouse in relation to St Helens