Sunday, June 6, 2021

Hike: Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail II, Yacolt, WA

 

AllTrails map

Getting There

I was already at the trailhead after hiking the Larch Mountain via Tarbell Trail. When I finished I had some adrenaline and energy to do more hiking.

The Hike

Length: 6.3 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 2,096 feet
Grade: 12.6%
Type: Out & Back

I crushed this hike today! Much different than last time. It took me less than 2 hrs to reach the top and 1.5 hrs down.

I actually didn't plan on making it to the top. I was just going to hike until I got tired or it got too late in the day to make a safe descent.

I powered up the first climb. I was huffing & puffing but not dying like last time. LOL.

I vaguely remember some of the waypoints from my last trek up here. It gave me incentive to keep pushing forward.

I knew there were several cars at the trailhead so I figured I'd keep going if I wasn't the last person at the top.

I passed a few solo hikers and one group of 4. Around Pyramid Rock I passed on guy that said he'd seen me before. I think I passed him on the Larch Mtn/Tarbell Trail earlier but when I told him, he still seemed baffled. Perhaps a doppelgänger?

Even further up, I passed a couple that looked a bit lost. She was looking at phone and told her SO that she thought they were still on track. My appearance confirmed they were still on the right trail. She was a plus-size girl was in fitness clothes but neither of them seemed to have gear (water, rain coat, hiking poles). I doubted I'd see them again.

I checked the time and the map and extended the time I had to stay at the summit. I was indeed the last hiker up there but was too close to not complete the hike.

I had the summit to myself but I could not see a thing, totally socked in.

On the way down, I passed the couple near the campsite just below the summit. I said "hello again". I was surprised to see them. A minute later a pair of guys walked by; they had backpacks and looked "prepared".

As I made my descent I thought about that girl. They rain and hail pounded me for a while then drizzled. I was soaked despite my rain gear, from head to toe. I thought of that couple coming back down. The ascent is mostly thighs and big muscles, the descent is ankles & knees.

My only solace was that those two other guys were up there and hopefully provided some kind of support. In reality, those fit guys left that couple in the dust(mud). If I hadn't seen them, I considered waiting for the couple to return to the parking lot. Would they have know? appreciate it?

View from the top

View from the top

View from the top

A short break in overcast sky

View of Pyramid Rock