Sunday, June 6, 2021

Hike: Larch Mountain via Tarbell Trail, Yacolt, WA

AllTrails map



Length: 5.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,167 feet
Type: Out & Back
Steps: ~22,000



Getting There

I woke up wanting to visit a new trail in WA. I'd done Silver Star Mountain last year and it was tough. I remember seeing the trail for Larch Mountain via Tarbell Trail on the other side of L-1200 parking lot.

Some asshole tailgated me from Hwy 14 all the way passed Jamie's Dahlias. I was going the at least the speed limit and it was rainy and windy on Washougal River Road. I was hoping this dude would turn eventually but he dogged me forever. He was so close I couldn't see the top of the hood of the huge F250.

I was on edge but refrained from flipping the person off when they angrily passed on a narrow section of road. I secretly hoped to find this huge truck wrapped around a tree.

Despite the inclement weather, the parking lot on L-1200 was almost full. I found an open spot and took it.

I geared up and set out on Tarbell Trail toward Larch Mountain.


The Hike

It wasn't long on the trail before I started to hear gunfire. Not the just occasional pop-pop but pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop; a lot of rounds. I heard what sounded like semi-auto fire a couple of times.

What started as a peaceful hike quickly became a bummer. Too much gun fire. I screamed into the void uselessly. I was immediately embarrassed by it released a tiny bit of tension. I passed a couple with a dog and I thought they gave me a weird look. In hindsight, I doubt they heard me and if they did it was so muffled, they didn't hear the words.

The transmission equipment at the top of the mountain makes the trek less rewarding somehow.

I found a tree and rock to sit on to rest for a bit before heading back down.

I took the mountain bike trail down for a bit before rejoining the trail. At 2952 ft and the 180 turn, the gun fire was louder.

I made it back to the trailhead in less than an hour. Not bad for a 5.1 mile hike. I think under 2hrs.

I didn't take many photos because the weather wasn't great for views and I was annoyed.

Top of Larch Mountain


Bridge across Grouse Creek

Top of Larch Mountain