Friday, July 2, 2021

Hike: Hamilton Mountain-Hardy Creek, Bonneville, WA


AllTrails map

Getting There

The directions are included in previous posts. It's above Beacon Rock off Hwy 14. 

As expected, the parking lot was mostly empty on Friday. It was 4th of July weekend. I had the pick of spots. I geared up and set out on the trail.


The Hike

Length: 7.30 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet
Type: Loop


This is my first time doing the Hamilton-Hardy loop in the counter-clockwise direction. This means going from the TH to the top of Hamilton Mountain, then following the ridge to the Saddle. Then, returning via Hardy Creek Trail.

Before the section at the bottom where you cross under the power lines, I passed a group of three. I passed some people coming down from Rodney Falls. When I got there, another hiker was there.

Above Little Hamilton I encountered a roup of three. They were enjoying the views and taking photos. I powered up towards the top. I saw a woman stopped on the trail. I thought it was weird that she didn't move when I got to here. Duh. I'd missed the switchback. In fact, she was well out of the way but I didn't see it and crowded her. She probably thought it was weird. I was immediately embarrassed and said something but she had her headphones on.

I made it to the top. This was the first time I'd taken the ridge trail in this direction. It's a bit easier since it's mostly downhill.

Backstory

My progression for knowing this trail and hiking area is amazing.

My first hike was Feb 5th, when I only made it up to Little Hamilton. I reached the top for the first time on April 12th. On May 29th I did the trek again and still didn't realize you could keep going. I thought it went to Table Mountain.

I went home and did my research, a Eureka! moment. I returned two days later on May 31st to do the Hardy/Hamilton Loop (clockwise). I came back on June 20th and again did the clockwise loop.

I knew I wanted to tackled the route from the other direction.

***

There are a couple opportunities to pop out of the bushes to get a 360 degree view, then you drop down in the canopy of this ridge trail.

When I reached the Saddle, it was windy, like last time. I had to hold down my hat with one hand.

There was a guy chilling on the good spot overlooking the Bonneville Dam. We said hello to each other.

It was later in the day so I didn't have time to take the full Upper Hardy loop. Plus, I wanted to see what the other return options looked like.

On the map, Don's Loop looks like a good little route. And it was. I felt a little rushed but would like to meander through again. Maybe from below, it's semi-challenging.

I was happy to hear Hardy Creek and rejoin the main trail.

The rest of the trail back to the Hamilton Trail is mostly downhill. I just cruised along, listening to the birds and other noises from critters in the bushes & leaves. I had my bear bell going the whole time but I didn't really notice it much, it was just there.

A few hundred yards before rejoining the Hamilton Trail, I walked passed a large pile of poop. I didn't stop to inspect, instead increasing my pace and ringing the bell loudly. There is a slight chance it was a mole hole. IDK.

I was glad to reach the familiarity of the main trail and well worn, wide surface. Baked white clay. Before I knew it I was at the stairs to Rodney Falls.

The place was empty so I climbed up to snap some photos of the waterfall up close. Every time I'd been there before, the water as coming down hard, lots of spray. (or, there were people up there, giving them space).