Thursday, July 22, 2021

Hike: Mineral Creek Trail to Kachess Lake, Cle Enum, WA


AllTrails maps

 

Getting There 

This was supposed to be a scouting day in the car and a rest day from hiking; I'd hiked three days in a row for a total of 30.6 miles/7732' of elevation gain. (Dang!)

I'd intended to go to Tucquala Lake because I'd come class a couple of years ago when I visited Leavenworth and stayed at the Salish Lodge on that road trip in 2019. Instead of staying on Salmon Le Sac Road, I turned on NF-46, crossing the river. I just keep cruising until the road ended at the Mineral Creek Trailhead. I really wasn't prepared. I was out of drinking water and just had a couple of bottled drinks (iced tea and a Red Bull). I looked at the trail map but I was out of service. It looked like a short one. I figured I'd just see what was what.

The Hike

Distance: 2.98 mi
Elevation Gain: 574 ft
Moving Time: 1:14:43
Avg Pace: 25:03
Calories: 658
Total Time: 1:25:56

I threw what I had in my pack and locked up the car. I filled out the trail registration card and set out. There were a few tents set up next to Kachess River. I thought I was on the trail but quicky realized it was blazing my own trail.

I pulled up the AllTrails map and realized I was supposed to cross the river before the tents.

Up the trail, a couple of forest rangers came by, one had backpack-mounted sprayer. I remember their truck at the trailhead.

It was a gradual descent to the 'top' of Kachess Lake. Along the way are a couple creek crossings that were pretty straightforward. I finally reached a point where I could see across the lake. I found a place to take in the view and snap a couple of shots. 

Kachess Lake

I'd seen another viewpoint on the map about 1/2 mile down the trail, so I continued.

I was stopped in my tracks because of a landslide across the trail. It wasn't new because I could see some boot prints. It was only 20 ft or so but there was nothing to hold on to and it was a 45 deg slide to water. The ROI was low. It was just an arbitrary point on the trail to take a photo. Definitely a lemon.

Landslide across the trail

Kachess Lake again

I returned to the first viewpoint and found a trail that went down to the shoreline. I took the selfie above.

***

On the way back I came to the creek crossings again. I was overconfident and didn't take my time.

I stepped on a wet tree root and my foot just slipped out from under me. In an instant I was knee deep in water and my glasses were gone. I don't know how I didn't hit my face on rocks or roots. My left thigh was screaming in pain. I paused for a couple of beats before it registered what had happened and assessed my body for injuries masked by shock.

Nope, nothing broken, no blood. Embarrassed and feeling really foolish for my carelessness. I made sure not to move my feet and reached into the water to fish around for my glasses. At first I didn't feel them but looked behind me and figured that hadn't been taken further. I thrust my arm back into the water and this time I felt them. Miraculously the glasses AND the sunglass clips were intact and not damaged. Woohoo. I counted my blessings. I crawled out of the water and regained my composure.

I gingerly crossed the creek and slowly continued on the trail back to the car. I kept think how much worse it could have been. I was lucky. So damn lucky.

My leg was definitely hurting and I was bummed that I might not be able to hike for the remainder of my road trip. Fuck.

I was still a bit wobbly when I got to the bridge by tents which was just a log and rope. I almost fell there too because there was too much slack on the guide rope. I just wanted to get back to my car and put this major oopsie in the rear view mirror.


Post Hike

When I got back to the car, I put on dry clothes and did my best to get my boots dry. (Actually only one was fully immersed. Ya! for my waterproof Keen Targhee IIIs). My pants were still soaked and I was nervous to see what gnarly bruise was forming. I peeled them and to my amazement, I really didn't see any discoloration. (Well, it might take some time.).

Cut to: Hotel room the next morning.

There was no bruise, nothing. I basically just slid on the tree root like a foam roll. Whew.