Friday, July 23, 2021

Hike: Gold Creek Trail, Snoqualmie Pass, WA



AllTrails maps

Getting There

After hiking Kendall Katwalk on Wednesday, I decided to take a break on Thursday to go check out Cle Elum and Kachess Lakes in the Jeep. I had a great day and on the way back I noticed a long valley with peaks at the end (Alta Mountain, 6152'). I pulled off here and scouted the Gold Creek Pond parking lot. I reasoned that Snow + Gem Lake hike would be crowded so maybe this place would a good alternative. The parking lot was sparsely populated but it was late afternoon so it looked promising.

I got an early start in the morning, checking out of my room at the Summit Inn. There were a couple cars at the trailhead parking lot, including one with a couple of guys going for a hike.

I got geared up and set out.

 

The Hike

Distance: 8.74 mi
Elevation Gain: 810 ft
Moving Time: 3:06:35
Avg Pace: 21:21
Calories: 1,644
Total Time: 3:25:04

The trail starts in some low brush and I quickly got to a Y for the Pond Loop trail and the Creek trail. I quickly found myself on the forest road (which was closed at the trailhead parking lot). This road winds through a bunch of winter cabins. I didn't not see a single one that was occupied but could hear someone with a chainsaw somewhere not far away. One place looked completely empty, as in no furniture, possibly being refurnished or remodeled. I image it's a winter wonderland when everything is covered in snow.


After 1.4mi, I finally reached the actually trail and forest hiking. The route never strays too far from Gold Creek which is flowing pretty well. This part was easy hiking and saw some nice man-made trail features like foot bridges and stone work/water routing.

At around 3.5mi the overgrowth started to be a challenge. I went through parts where I could hardly see the ground, then it would open up nicely.

At 4.1mi the trail crosses Gold Creek but there isn't a bridge. The water was only about shin-deep. I was already feeling apprehensive about the hike. 

I'd hoped to find a well-traveled trail like so many others in the area but found a neglected trail.

If I'd been on a backpacking trip, or with a buddy, I would have happily crossed the creek. I might have brought river sandals or resigned myself to hike with wet boots. Given my incident the previous day, I was feeling pretty cautious about water crossings.

At this point I decided to turn back. I was a bit bummed because I could have done Snow Lake or somewhere like Kendall Katwalk. I had to remind myself to appreciate the beauty that this valley had to offer. I was glad be there. 

Maybe someday I'll go back and reach the Alpine Lakes (Alaska & Joe) and PCT at end of the valley. Probably not, only because there are 1000s of trails on my to-do list. Learn and move on. :)


Kendall Peak, 5441'


Gold Creek

Lemah Mountain?? from Gold Creek

Unnamed ridge on east side

More of Kendall Peak, 5441'

The "trail"

More of the "trail"


History of Gold Creek Pond

Gold Creek Pond is an old gravel pit used in the 70s and 80s to build I-90. It is picturesque but according to what I found online, the man made pond is actually causing “extreme harm to the Gold Creek Watershed.” Bummer :(

Restoration of Gold Creek Advocates: https://www.restoregoldcreek.com/the-issue

former gravel pit

Gold Creek Pond