Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Hike: Panorama Point Loop, Paradise, Mount Rainier, WA


AllTrails maps



Getting There

I made the short drive to the Day Lodge parking lot from Reflections Lakes. I found a spot near the edge of the lot. I recalled stopping here in 2020 to just take a look around. I marveled at the views of the Mt Rainier as well as the peaks I'd just hiked, Pinnacle, Plummer, etc. It's how I image the Alps. I remember coming up here in 2019 when there was snow everywhere and I'd stopped at Carter Falls, my first time inside the park.

Memories. Connections. ... anyway, I geared back up and headed out.


The Hike

Distance: 4.95 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,640 ft
Moving Time: 2:22:41
Avg Pace: 28:48
Calories: 1,257
Total Time: 2:31:01

There are so many trail starting from the parking lot. I quickly ended up on the Skyline Trail. I had no expectations about what elevation I was going to reached. I'd looked at the Panorama Point trail on the map but it's so different when you're out there IRL. The trail was full of people so I had no concerns about being the only one, far from it. 

I could see tiny dots far above me. Hikers. It gave me the drive I needed to keep pushing up.

The weather wasn't great. The clouds around the mountain were low. That band I'd seen earlier had grown. I knew this giant was looming over us all, we just couldn't see it.

When I reached Panorama Point, the views of the surrounding peaks was amazing. The trails are so amazing up there. A pair of hikers were coming down from the Upper Skyline Trail. I asked about the views and was encouraged to keep going.

I reached the Pebble Creek junction and more views of the glaciers and peaks. A group of about 10 hikers emerged from the fog. (I learned later in the Paradise Inn gift shop that they'd stayed at Camp Muir.)

From there I had the option to go back the the same way or continue on the loop. It was about the same distance so why not see new terrain.

The trail snakes down the slopes of the mountain. You can see people as little dots below, well above the tree line. It's a really nice trail so it's easy to make quick progress. The drank in the views.

I reached the Golden Gate Trail junction and happily cruised to the Inn. What a day I'd had. It was getting darkish. I'd put in some great hiking on this day.

When I reached Myrtle Falls there were lots of people that were just sightseeing, not hiking. A group was attending to a woman in a beautiful dress and photographer in the middle of a session. I continued back to the parking lot.

After the hike

Before heading to the car, I popped inside the lobby of the inn. I wanted a mocha which I got and a salad. I set me food and drink down and stepped into the store. Most people were wearing masks but it was sorta crowded. Turns out several were the hikers I'd seen at the Pebble Creek Trail who'd stayed at Camp Muir.  It had to do some research.

I drove back to Packwood.