Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Hike: Forest Park (Firelane 15, Wildwood, BPA) III, Portland, OR

AllTrails map

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.

I parked, put my window shade up, geared up and set out.

 

The Hike

Length: 7.74 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,726 feet
Type: Loop (except section to trailhead)
Moving Time: 2:21:37
Avg Pace: 18:17
Calories: 1,248
Total Time: 2:26:21

This is the first time I've done this exact route but it only slightly varies from my 'usual' route because I skipped the Firelane 12 section. 

It's a good route to get some elevation gain and distance without having to travel very far. I think I had my best time on the BPA Road section from Hwy 30/Linnton to the top/ridge: 22 min. (Just over a month away from my MSH summit attempt!).

The one notable observation during this hike was that it was strangely quiet on the trail. No birds chirping or rustling in the leaves. No bugs either. It could have been due to the heat but seems like if there are no insects, then birds have fewer food options. It was bizarre.