Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Hike: Hamilton Mountain up-and-back, Bonneville, WA

AllTrails map
 

Getting There

The directions are included in previous posts. It's above Beacon Rock off Hwy 14. 

As expected, the parking lot was mostly empty on Wednesday however there was a shuttle bus and about 20 people milling around while a tour guy give tips and details about the hike and that a person would be posted at the Hardy Creek Trail junction to keep folks on the main path.

I really didn't want to get "stuck" behind them (silly in hindsight) but I hurriedly got geared up and set out on the trail still carrying a few items...


The Hike

Length: 5.26 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,037 feet
Type: Up and back
Moving Time: 2:33:45
Avg Pace
: 29:15
Calories
: 1,355
Total Time
: 2:40:07

... I was rushing to put some distance between us but stopped when I realized the group was still gathered at the shuttle. I stopped and put the stuff I was still carrying in my pack and resumed.

I had the place to myself for the most part. I passed a couple on the trail and a family relaxing at Rodney Falls.

I was moderately wary of the hazy air and faint smell of smoke but pushed on. It was good to be on the trail again; two hikes since my WA road trip and week of hikes.

Super happy with my new hiking boot inserts, Superfeet Trailblazer Comfort. After traveling 300+ miles in my KEEN Targhee IIIs, I was starting to feel the rocks through the bottom of my boots on rough terrain. The boot's original soles had compressed and had no cushion left.

Wow! So much better. Such an improvement.

Medium-sized, loose rocks

Medium-sized, embedded rocks

More medium sized, loose + embedded rocks

Between Big and Little Ham.