Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Hike: Forest Park (Firelane 12, 15, BPA Road) XI, Portland, OR

AllTrails map

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.

I parked, geared up and set out.


The Hike

Distance: 6.96 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,650 ft
Moving Time: 2:16:41
Total Time: 2:21:01
Avg Pace: 19:39
Calories: 1,204
Type: Loop (except section to trailhead)

This is the 11th time I've hiked this section of the park but I tried a new route this time.

I did the first segment to the Firelane 12-15-Wildwood and I took Firelane 12 all the way down to Hwy 30. Actually, the trail ends in the neighborhood of Harborton (NW Creston Road & NW Harborton Drive.)

Then, I traversed along Hwy 30 (noisy) but I saw some interesting trash like love notes on heart-shaped sheets, like torn for a teenager's notebook.

I considered going up Newton Road but opted to just take the BPA Road up. Using my hiking poles seemed to help, I didn't feel as winded as without. The tiny push I got from each arm helped enough to make a difference.

I stopped for a couple of minutes to talk to a woman with a dog. My time was slower than usual. 3:17-3:46 = 29 min vs the usual 25. Maybe those couple of minutes chatting but I really feel like the poles helped me go faster. Guess not.

I wanted to check out Wildwood to Newberry but it was pretty muddy/mucky out there and I bailed after 0.2mi (0.4mi rt).

I didn't start my hike until about 2:10p so I had limited daylight. It was dark when I reach the St John's Bridge.