Friday, November 26, 2021

Hike: Hamilton Mountain & Hardy Creek, N Bonneville, WA



AllTrails map

Getting There


When I checked the forecast for Skamania it said overcast until around 7 pm but driving through Washougal and into the Gorge it was raining and drizzle. 

I was surprised to find the Hamilton Mountain trailhead was full. I waited for a few minutes to see if any cars might leave but I didn’t see anyone coming off the trail.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to do Phlox Point again but I knew the Equestrian Trail parking would have room. In fact there were just two other cars.

The Hike


Distance: 9.19 miles 
Elevation Gain: 2,280.2 ft
Moving Time: 03:11:02

I was misty and wet but I was projected from the rain but the forest canopy. I saw one couple with a dog but never saw the person/people from the other car.

I noticed fresh tracks from a vehicle in the mud and it turned out to be a park ranger. I waved when they drove passed.

I still wasn’t sure which route I was going to do. I briefly considered a clockwise loop, hitting the Saddle and then Hamilton. When I got to the Hardy Creek trail I even started up the next section but turned around.

I wanted that climb that only the counterclockwise loop gives. I saw another two hikers and their dogs at the Hardy Creek junction.

When I reached the switchbacks the views were incredible. The fog filled the Gorge and the sun was piercing through the upper clouds.

I was running out of daylight when I reached the Saddle. It was a long 4.0 mi descent on the Equestrian Trail. I kept a brisk pace.