Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Hike: Scouting the Blue Lake Trail / Toutle Trail, MSH, Cougar, WA

All Trails maps

Getting There

This was my first time to this trailhead but I've driven by the turnoff several times en-route to Red Rock Pass Trailhead or Climber's Bivouac. 

Most Direct Route from Portland:

Take I-5 N to Woodland. Then take Lewis River Road east toward Cougar (WA-503). Just after the Yale Lake Boat Launch, take the Merrill Lake turnoff (north) on Merrill Lake Road (NF-81). After crossing over the Kalama River, keep an eye out for a 90-deg turn (and small sign) to stay on NF-81. (*If you find yourself on Forest Road 030, turn around). You'll see the Kalama Horse Camp on the right. After Goat Mountain you'll get to the junction for Toutle Road (Forest Road 8123) to the Blue Lake Trailhead.

The road is a bit rough with potholes and newly formed trenches from rain but no problem for pickup or Jeep.

When the road gets really rough, you'll see the trailhead sign. There's plenty of room for several cars to parallel park. You'd need a motorcycle or 4x4 spotter to get passed the creeks that have pummeled this area but the Forest Road 8123 continues.

The Hike

Distance: 2.32 mi
Elevation Gain: 240 ft
Moving Time: 56:29
Total Time: 1:09:10
Avg Pace: 24:23
Calories: 498

I didn't leave Portland until about noon and wasn't on the trail until about 1:30p. I didn't have time for a long hike in unknown area like this. I figured I could do some scouting though. The clouds made from some excellent lighting at times. Diffused shadows and some slivers of blue sky. The weather was amazing, around 60F.

Time will tell if I can do a longer hike before winter really sets in. Crazy temperatures for Dec 1st. Even if there is some snowfall, it likely to be easily negotiable with micro-spikes and hiking poles. It sounds like the issue for other hike destinations like Ramona Falls is that the creeks, streams, rivers can be swollen and impassible. Certainly a trends that will continue if we get early snow, then warm weather. It would certainly make hiking on snow pack much more dangerous due to hidden cracks & crevices.

I started hiking on Forest Road 8123 but after looking at the map, this was not going to emerge from the trees for miles. I wanted to take advantage of the light and views of MSH. I turned around and headed back towards the Blue Lake Trail. 

I eventually found my way using the GPS/maps back to the Toutle Trail and spur trail to Blue Lake. I chatted with a couple who were looking for a way to cross Coldspring Creek. (This is a way to reach the Sheep Canyon Trail which then links to the Loowit Trail for nice 14mi loop passed Butte Dome.)


The Drive Home

Instead of taking the Lewis River Road back to Woodland and I-5, I took WA-503 south through Amboy and Battle Ground. I've crossed the Yale Bridge before but I was floored when I got there and saw the blanket of fog. It was magical. I took a chance and stopped on the bridge to take a few photos. Fortunately, no cars were coming because I saw them crossing later at high speeds. Oops. The lighting was gorgeous.

I crossed the bridge and parked. There was a steel staircase down to the water's edge; even some life vests for anyone to use. So glad I took a different road home.