Saturday, April 2, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain, Hardy Creek, Little Beacon, N Bonneville, WA

 

AllTrails map

Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville. Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

Note: Looks like the Hardy Campground is open for the season. There were a couple of sites with people camping. Definitely going to look into staying out there while there are very few people and take a sunrise or sunset hike.

The Hike

Length: 8.36 mi
Elevation gain: 2,267 ft
Moving time: 3:14:21
Avg. pace: 23:16
Calories: 1,712
Total time: 3:30:04
Steps: 20,175 (Fitbit)
Zone Mins: 114 (86 Fat Burn; 28 Cardio/Peak)(Fitbit)
Floors: 258 (Fitbit)
Calories: 3,470 (Fitbit)

It's feeling like Spring! I didn't find any areas on the trail with remaining snow, especially between the Hamilton summit and the Saddle.

I also took the Don's Cutoff Trail which intersects the Upper Hardy Creek Trail (between the Bridge Trail and the pit toilet.

I've been working through RA treatment without methotrexate. I took a prescription dose of ibuprofen about 2 hours before my hike and felt pretty darn good. On the next day (Sunday) I had some soreness in my thighs and IT band on the outer right knee but otherwise, I would consider it a success. Good to know if I plan on a longer hike like Pumice Butte or Coldwater Peak or Mt Adams or MSH summit, I should be able to alleviate symptoms temporarily before they happen.

I loved hiking later in the day than during the Fall and Winter. The time change back to standard time and tilting of the earth allowed a later start (~2pm) and gorgeous golden light when I reach Little Beacon.

There was almost no wind at all. I was so quiet and peaceful. <3

Beacon Rock & Columbia River from Little Beacon

Selfie from the Saddle

Little Beacon Rock

Somewhere on the trail

Selfie from Little Beacon Rock

Little Beacon Rock viewpoint

Plaque for Clyde B. Hadly, 1st superintendent of BCSP