Monday, May 30, 2022

Hike: Wapato Access Greenway, Sauvie Island, Portland, OR


 
Footpath map

Getting There

Take Hwy 30 to Sauvie Island. Take NW Sauvie Island Road past Reeder Road. The Trailhead/parking lot is 2.3 miles from Cracker Barrel Grocery Store on the left (south side). Be sure to pick up a day pass.

The Hike

Length: 2.53 mi
Elevation gain: 54 ft

This is the third time on this trail; this time I brought my mom. It was Memorial Day weekend and the weather was pretty good after many days of rain.

The northeast side of the loop is in good condition but the straightaway along the Multnomah Channel was pretty muddy. Seems like it's always muddy, reading the trail reports and from experience.

No matter, I had my sandals and just gave up trying to keep clean. My mom was wearing black trainers and got muddy on the sides. When we got to the fishing dock, I washed mine off in the river.

It was good to get outside for a change. The arthritis has been bad so I'm not able to do longer hikes with much elevation. :(

I hope the meds start to work and suppress the inflammation soon!