Sunday, July 31, 2022

Hike: Hamilton Mountain, N Bonneville, WA

 


Getting There

Take WA-14 from Vancouver, WA east toward N Bonneville. 

I almost took 205 back into Oregon and headed to Larch Mountain. When I got to the turn, I just kept going.

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit. 

It was 95 degrees according to my truck's thermometer. I was unfazed because I had plenty of water and knew most of the hike is in the trees. 

The weekend temperatures was hot everywhere (except the coast). I opted to not hike on Saturday and as Sunday rolled around, I hemmed and hawed. I got some inspiration around 1pm and hopped in the car. Bummer, I forgot my hiking poles but it was good opportunity to tune some muscles for better balance.

The Hike

Length: 5.49 mi
Elevation gain: 1,916 ft
Moving time: 2:42:59
Avg. pace: 29:40
Calories: 1,436
Total time: 3:05:30

Since it was later in the day, I opted to just do an up and back this time and skip the Saddle and Equestrian/Don's Cutoff. I was good to get the exercise and keep in shape for later this summer.

I was pretty dry out there, hence the yellow grass. Since I wasn't doing the Hardy Creek part of the loop I had some time to check out Little Hamilton. I got some new perspectives on (Big) Hamilton and the surrounding area.