Saturday, August 13, 2022

Hike: North End of Forest Park 19, Portland, OR

AllTrails map


Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.  

I've been slightly wary of parking at popular hiking trailheads since hearing about the rash of break-ins at the Newberry Road Trailhead (N end of Wildwood Trail) and my own debacle at work. Sucks. Nevertheless, I figured I've done all I can do like locking the console and glove-box and not leaving any of valuable visible or stuff in the back like before the break-in. I parked in a highly visible area and (knock on wood) no issues.

Since the last time I was here, a plastic lawn sign was added warning about "prowlers".

The Hike

Length: 7.30 mi
Elevation gain: 1,699 ft
Moving time: 2:33:34
Total time: 2:38:39
Avg. pace: 21:03
Calories: 1,353

Steps: 22,436
Zone Mins: 37
Floors: 240
Calories: 1,606

This was my first full loop hike since June. I was happy to finally not have to deal with mud. There was a little bit of overgrowth but manageable. I skipped the detours this time which cut the hike down 500 ft of climb and 3 miles.

The 800 ft climb up BPA Road took 25 mins, on par with my previous times. I'm feeling good physically about my 2nd MSH climb next month. The new boots are giving me some troubles but I'm going keep trying to get them broken in. Just in case I'll take both pairs to the trailhead and decide on hike day.

I should have hiked in WA for the the August Hike-A-Thon but I made the decision late. As I write this on Sunday morning, I'm wondering if I have a second hike in me this weekend. I'll have to get going soon.