Monday, December 19, 2022

Hike: North End of Forest Park 21, Portland, OR


AllTrails map

Getting There

Take NW Skyline Blvd north from NW Germantown Road. The Skyline Blvd Trailhead is 1.6 mi and a parking are available on right (east) side of the road.

The Hike

Length: 10.40 mi
Elev. gain: 2,133 ft
Moving time: 3:12:31
Total time: 3:19:05
Avg pace: 18:31
Calories: 1,935

BPA Road in Forest Park. This is the top of a 1.0 mi / 800 ft climb. It's part of a 10 mi / 2000 ft loop that I've been doing for awhile; my favorite nearby hike for conditioning. I'm close to meeting some goals I set for the year, so I'm trying to squeeze in as many outings as I can before NYE. I took every side quest/detour: (1) to the BPA Road Trailhead (+0.9 mi) (2) to the Newton Road Trailhead (+1.7 mi), (3) the Kielhorn Meadow (+0.3 mi).  

** Shoutout to the trail maintenance people. The Wildwood Trail was in great shape. Looks like a lot of recent work.

--
On my way down toward Hwy 30 on Newton Road, I heard a strange noise, like from an animal. It didn't sound like a dog or bird. When I was in the area in Nov I saw some bear poop on BPA Road near Firelane 12. I heard two vocalizations -
2 sec each. It didn't sound like was close to the trail but certainly nearby, down the hillside.