Sunday, May 28, 2023

Hike: Cooper Mountain Nature Park, Beaverton, OR

 


Getting There

This place is just minutes from Beaverton, off SW Farmington Road. Take SW Grabhorn Road to SW Gassner Road. Then turn onto SW 190th and take it until it turns into SW Kemmer. It's not a bad as it sounds. (There's another route from SW 175th.)

The parking lot is pretty limited but they have a dirt lot for overflow.

The Hike

Length: 2.83 mi
Elev. gain: 436 ft
Moving time: 53:09
Total time: 1:02:07
Avg pace: 18:49
Calories: 535

 

 








Even though I've been here several times before, I'm amazed by the variety of plants and trees. At times, you get wide views of the adjacent rolling hills and others, surrounded by trees like oaks and other foliage. It's even got a little bit of elevation loss/gain, ~450ft. 

Like previous times, I take the longest loop around the perimeter. During the pandemic, the rangers had setup a counterclockwise loop to maximize social distancing and I've continued this route.

After leaving the parking lot, I followed the Cooper Mountain Loop. I'm not sure I've taken the Overlook Trail but maybe next time. You walk down the lowest elevation in the park. After the Quarry Pond, I took the Larkspur Loop for a bit more distance and elevation, then back on the main trail. The Cooper Mountain Loop cuts through the middle but I continued on the perimeter on Blacktail Way. 

This path includes a short spur trail to a prairie which has some benches. I found one bench partially in the shade and sat down to reflect on my life at this moment and listen to the wind and birds.

The last leg of the hike was up the east side of the Little Prairie Loop back to the parking lot.

I haven't been able to go for hikes further away from town but glad this place is an option for a short getaway. While I love the Sandy River Delta, I realize I'm not a fan of other people's dogs. This place is dog free.