Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hike: Cape Horn Loop Trail, Washougal, WA



Getting There

The Trailhead parking lot is 18min (14.1mi) from the Camas Chevron off Hwy 14. It's about 1.5mi to the Salmon Falls Park & Ride from the Cape Horn Lookout.

I noticed a woman and her two young kids and a small dog were excited to head out on the trail.

The Hike

Length
: 7.31 mi
Elev. gain: 1,463 ft
Moving time: 2:48:26
Avg pace: 23:03
Calories: 1,697
Total time: 3:17:27

 

 

 

 

 

 


When I left the parking lot, I hadn't thought if I could the full loop. Part of the trail is closed for peregrine nesting but I couldn't remember the exact dates. I thought about doing the clockwise loop and get the road walk out of the way at the beginning but decided it was a good workout at the end of the hike, a steady incline but easy walking surface.

I took the counterclockwise direction. The trail was pretty well manicured but there were a few spots where the bushes were encroaching a bit. No worries, I pushed them out of the way. I really need to learn to identify the poison oak and ivy. 

I passed a trio, parents and teenage kid. Not long after met another older couple and we chatted briefly about the dry weather and shade.

From Pioneer Point looking south

Near the top of the first ascent, I stopped to take a requisite look at the view from Pioneer Point. Just as I was leaving a pair of hikers and a dog showed up. They asked me to take a couple photos for them which I happily obliged. It took a little bit to get the dog to comply as it was busy sniffing around and staying in the shade. It was black German Shepherd so with the contrast it was hard to see in the shade but I could see its smiling face. I took a few shots and showed them the results. Then, they requested a shot or two of them on the gnarled tree root. I got on my knees so I wouldn't back off the ledge and took a few more pictures. I was using one of the hikers iPhone 14. Man, that takes some nice photos! As I was leaving, I asked if they knew when the nesting period was. The one hiker wasn't sure but guessed it was until the end of July. Oh well, I thought. I would go as far as I could, then double back.

From Pioneer Point looking east

I continued on my way. Another couple were ahead of me on the trail. I slowed my pace so they could get way ahead. It was nice to meander and enjoy the sights and smells. By the time I reached Strunk Road, they were way ahead of me.

Good news. I saw a sign that said the nesting period is Feb 15 to July 15! I could do the loop!

Meadows near Strunk Road

Meadows near Strunk Road

Gravel road just before rejoining the trail

At the first lookout, I discovered that couple were sitting on the wall, facing out towards the river. I only stopped for a few seconds and quietly retreated back to the trail to continue down.

It was a nice hike down the tunnel under Hwy 14. I remember being here in Dec 2022, it was really muddy and slippery. Today, it was dry and a tad dusty. Somewhere before the tunnel I ran across a guy that was pruning the bushes. It was pretty overgrown in the part of the route. After I was well past, I thought I should have asked what species he was targeting, if any, and maybe get some education on spotting the poisonous plants.

The lower section of the trail gets steeper as you descend closer to the water, sort of. There's a long section that heads west. I know there are road pullouts and access trails to this part of the loop.

Looking east from Windblown Fir Viewpoint

I stopped at the Windblown Fir Viewpoint for a min. When I rejoined the trail, I noticed that couple again. I decided to stay ahead of them and adopted a brisk pace. Along the way, I passed the woman and her two young kids. They'd taken the clockwise loop. I was quietly impressed by the young ones. I thought about the experiences and memories they were forming from outings like this. For a second, I wished I'd started hiking much sooner in life.

Cigar Rock Viewpoint

At the Cigar Rock Viewpoint, I stopped, took off my pack and ate some apple slices. It was good take break and really see where I was. That couple passed me, I waved and we exchanged hellos.

This was the lowest elevation on the loop. From here the trail zigzags through a talus field. It was a little rougher than I remember and took my time. It's times like this I wished I had the rubber feet for my hiking poles. 


At the top of this section is the Cape Horn Falls. Last time I poked around up there, I nearly slipped on some wet rocks. I did not want that to happen so I was very slow and cautious. It paid off, every step was deliberate and stable. I went behind the waterfall and snapped some photos and took a couple videos.


I was nearly at the end of the trail. I passed a guy and his tired look dog on my final descent through the trees.

End of the trail on Cape Horn Road

 

Back on Cape Horn Road, I adopted a slow steady pace. My feet and legs felt good and I enjoyed the farmland views on either side of the road. A couple residents passed in their cars. I noticed the asphalt was bubbled quite a bit. I mistook the shiny blobs for glass or rocks but when I poked one, it popped. In fact, I could hear a few pop under my feet.

I finally reached the trail again just below the Hwy 14 tunnel back to the parking lot.

The truck that I'd seen the woman and her kids was still there. I was casually hoping to see them again just to comment on our opposing loop directions and pace. 

---

To get home, I decided to take the back route via Canyon Creek Road. I deliberately passed the turn to get to Belle Center Road and continued all the way to Washougal River Road. As I passed it, I noted where I'd met the tow truck to put on my spare that day I got a flat.