Saturday, July 29, 2023

Hike: Hamilton Mountain + Hardy Creek Loop, N Bonneville, WA


Getting There

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

The sign at the bottom of the hill said "Lot full" bit there's usually a spot open. When I got the parking lot, a Forest Service employee said that two spots were available. The hike from Hwy 14 is a good addition but not today!

The Hike

Distance: 7.04 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,198 feet
Steps: 20,345 (FitBit)
Calories Burned: 2,322 (FitBit)
Floors: 247 (FitBit)
Zone Minutes: 69 (47 fat burn, 22 cardio/peak)









Yet another Hamilton hike! Today was probably my fastest ascent. I think around 1 hr 30 mins for 2.7 miles and 2000 ft of climb. Additionally, I felt strong, my feet and legs weren't tired and I had plenty of energy to continue to the Saddle and take Don's Cutoff to the Upper Hardy Creek Trail and back to the trailhead.

My recent hikes and urban long-distance walks have paid off! I'm ready for my roving shift on Monday!

Unfortunately, the charger in the car was not plugged in all the way so my phone was woefully close to being out of juice. Therefore, I only took a couple of photos and to be honest after so many hikes here, the opportunities for something unique are getting less and less, at least for the vistas of the Gorge and such.


This place has really become my go-to conditioning hike spot. I feel much more confident to head out to MSH and other places where I need to be in good shape. 

I'd like to get back to the west side of Mt Hood and try some trails on the north side. Since Hike-a-Thon is coming up, I'd like to get back to Mt Adams and maybe up around northwest, north and northeast corners of Mt Rainier. Of course I'd love to head up to Snoqualmie Pass and try something besides Kendall Katwalk.

 Stay tuned!