Saturday, July 15, 2023

Hike: Sandy River Trail @ Mt Hood, Rhododendron, OR

Getting There

Take Hwy 26 to Zig Zag. Head north on Lolo Pass Road for 4.2 miles then take Muddy Fork Road. I parked in the shade by the bridge and NF-1825 which goes to McNeil & Riley Horse Campground and the Ramona Falls Trailhead.

Note: The road to Ramona Falls is in pretty bad shape. High clearance vehicle is best.

The Hike

Length: 5.22 mi
Elev. gain: 397 ft
Moving time: 2:05:18
Total time: 2:23:47
Avg pace: 23:60
Calories: 1,262





My original plan was to hike the Ramona Falls Trail but it seemed like it was going to packed and I wanted a quieter day so I turned back. There were a lot of cars along the way. I figured the trailhead parking lot was going to be full so I turned back and parked at the bridge in the shade.

Last time I was here was Dec 3rd, 2021. I'd also planned a similar hike but bailed on the road walk from the bridge to the trailhead and found the Sandy River Trail.

Today, I found my way to the Horseshoe Ridge Trail by mistake and followed it southwest for a bit. I realized I didn't have maps since I was out of cell coverage. I turned back and went the other direction which I was familiar. After passing the Riley Horse Campground, the trail becomes the Sandy River Trail. 

There are a bunch of access points to Lost Creek along the way. The trail crosses Forest Road 1825 and parallels the Sandy River. The views of Mt Hood were spectacular. 

After taking some photos of the river and Mt Hood, I realized there was a couple sitting in the water. I hadn't noticed them at all. I waved and started back to the car.

It was hot AF out there and I went through almost 100 oz of water in my short outing. 

Like my last visit in 2021, I drove up to French's Dome for another look. There were several rock climbers so I kept my stay short. I circled the dome then bailed.

Horseshoe Ridge Trail

Lost Creek

Lost Creek

Lost Creek

Sandy River & Mt Hood

Looking west toward Lolo Pass Road

Sandy River & Mt Hood, a little further up the trail

Sandy River Trail