Saturday, August 19, 2023

Hike: Grouse Vista Trail to Silver Star Mountain, Yacolt, WA


Getting There

This was a momentous day. The last time I was on the L-1200/L-1201, I got a flat tire. I'd been on my way back from trying to visit the Noble Ridge Tree Deck up L-1201 and ran over a bullet shell. I was able to limp all the way back to the Washougal River Road and about 8 miles from town but ultimately, I had to get a new set of 5 tires. Ouch! That was back in May.

Most recently, I attempted to get to the trailhead from the north, Moulton Falls route but Google Maps did me dirt! It was trying to route me on forest roads that were gated closed. I was on L-1200 but 6 min from the trailhead the estimated time when from 15 mins to 1h45min! WTaF? I panicked and just turned around. I ended up going all the way up to MSH and hiking the Loowit Trail via June Lake.

To get there from the south take L-1200 out of Washougal to get there. It's 7 miles up a gravel road from the end of the pavement on Skamania Mines Road and it's 18 miles from Washougal.

"Head north on Washougal River Rd toward 6th Ave/F St (10 min (6.5 mi)). Continue on NE Hughes Rd. Take Skamania Mines Rd and 1200 Rd to L-1200 (32 min (11.5 mi))."

I was there for a WTA (Washington Trails Association) Trail Work Party that I'd seen a post for on the Mt St Helens Institute Facebook page. It was right up my alley so I signed up.

We met at the trailhead at 8:30am. Actually, I'd left around 7am and made it there by 8:15am. The crew leader talked to us 8 volunteers for about 30mins about tool usage, safety, and what to expect & what we were going to be doing. Five of the volunteers had their own hardhats and the other three of use had loaners with tape on the side to put our names in pen.

There were a couple of seasoned volunteers that were the assistant crew leaders. We'd be in 3 subgroups. One person was a MSHI volunteer as well and donned this year's shirt. She was celebrating her 600th work party with WTA! After the orientation talk, I got rid of my straw hat and stowed a pull saw. I grabbed the loppers that I was to carry to the work site.

The Hike

Distance: 3.77 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,200 ft








 

 



At around 9am, we started up the trail. It's a steep, rocky section but I was in good shape and adopted a slow steady pace.

We'd stop periodically to let everyone catch up. Eventually, we found some things on the trail that needed attention: small branches protruding over the trail. I made my first cuts.

Making the cut

Making the cut 2

A subgroup was going to saw a big log that was layed across the trail but I was in the group that continued on. At the unofficial trail junction to Pyramid Rock, we stopped for a water break and chocolate.

Along the way, we ate berries (blueberries, huckleberries, thimbleberries) along the way and chitchatted. 

We finally made it to the work site, a 1-mile section of the trail below Pyramid Rock. There were several squeeze points where we pruned bushes and trimmed protruding tree branches. We'd work for a bit, then continue up the trail.

Soon it was time for lunch. We found a place for everyone to site off the trail and eat. There wasn't shade but it was good to take off my hard hat and backpack.

At that point, the wildfire smoke from Canada and Eastern WA was started to envelope the area. It was also getting warm and I only had my Hike-a-Thon cotton t-shirt. I changed into my long-sleeved, button-down shirt and filled up my water bottle from reserves.

Grouse Vista Trail

Pyramid Rock

Smoke beginning to roll in

Sturgeon Rock in the distance

After lunch was moved further towards the summit but were still 2-3 miles from the last junction. There was much to do in this section. Earlier I'd been asking what bushes and trees to trim and how much but by now, I felt confident to make wise pruning choices.

The crew leader finally gave the 10-min-more call. The smoke was getting dense and I was starting to feel it in my throat and eyes.

We called it a day and started back down.


Back at the place we'd taken our first break we stopped again to regather and take a group selfie.


Back at the trailhead, we gathered by the WTA truck and had soft drinks, chips, cookies, and popsicles!

Everyone worked together and was super friendly and welcoming. 10/10 will do it again!