Saturday, August 12, 2023

Hike: Oneonta Gorge Trail, Cascade Locks, OR

Getting There

Take the Historic Columbia River Highway (Hwy 30), constructed between 1913 and 1922. The Oneonta Trailhead is 2.0 miles east of Multnomah Falls, and just 0.6 miles west of Horsetail Falls Trailhead.

You can access Hwy 30 via I-84 via Exit 28 (Bridal Veil/Angel's Rest) or Exit 35 (Ainsworth State Park) from either the west or eastbound lanes. 

In the morning to just after lunch, I was volunteering at Latourell Falls as a Trail Ambassador for Trailkeepers of Oregon (TKO), greeting visitors, orienting them about the trail, and suggesting other waterfall hikes.

Since I was in the area and already had my hiking boots on, I figured I could get in a hike and log some miles for WTA's 2023 Hike-a-Thon. Originally, I'd planned to hike up Wahkeena Falls since I hadn't been there since winter. I knew the trailheads were going to be busy but I was hoping for an open spot. Unfortunately, Wahkeena's main and auxiliary parking lots were full. I was running low on gas, so my closest places for fuel was Cascade Locks so I continued on Hwy 30 in that direction. 

When I reached Oneonta & Horsetails Falls Trailheads, there was ample parking. I pulled into a spot and headed out.

The Hike

Length: 4.55 mi
Elev. gain: 1,375 ft
Moving time: 2:03:36
Avg pace: 27:09
Calories: 270
Total time: 2:12:02











The first part of the trail is a long switchback in the trees and gradual climb. Once you reach the gorge, it starts to climb a bit. There's a permit box at the junction for Horsetail Falls Trail. It looks like a steep descent down but I was headed for Triple Falls and beyond.


The forest is gone. The trees were burnt in the 2017 fire which started at Eagle Creek. There is no shade except behind a few large tree trunks. The trail is stable but there are a few spots where careful footing is wise as the drops are pretty sheer. 

There are some viewpoints of the gorge.



I finally made it to a viewpoint for Triple Falls. I can imagine this surrounded by a lush forest but now it's a stark reminder of the fire 6 years ago. I continued up to the bridge. There was a group of hikers sitting next to the creek, cooling off in the shade. It was pretty hot and I was feeling it. Probably in the high 80s to low 90s.



I had another 1.5 liters of water but low on electrolytes. I wasn't sure what lie ahead on the trail but continued up. I found a spot to get down to the water. Not to fill up my bottles because I didn't bring a filter but to dunk my neck gaiter to help cool down.

There was a couple going in the same direction. They passed me but I passed them a bit later when they were stopped in the little shade there was. I was started to get chills; not good; it's a sign my body is having trouble regulating the temperature. I didn't have a clear destination and I didn't want to take any chances so I turned around and started the walk back to Triple Falls.

Even when going downhill, I continued to have the occasional wave of chills. I drank more water and took my time. When I reached the bridge I stopped to take a panorama and rest in the shade. I was starting to feel better and enjoyed the descent down the gorge.

Further down the trail, I came across a pair of hikers that looked a bit exhausted and were sitting on the trail. One of them asked me about Horsetail Falls Trail but I said I thought it was down below at the Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness permit box. They said they hoping to reach Triple Falls. I gave wrong info as I thought it meant the series of Oneonta Falls (Lower, Middle, and Upper) but in fact, the bridge WAS Triple Falls. Oops.

I stubbed my right big toe even though the Keens have a burly rubber toe cap. It slowed me down a bit as my toes were snug against the front of the boot on the downhill.

I made it back to the trailhead/parking lot and continued east to Cascade Locks to get some gas. I noticed quite a few thru hikers walking around town. Oregon now has self-serve fuel. Kinda of a trip. I remember when I first moved to the state 20 years ago, I'd absentmindedly got out of my truck and got reprimanded for starting to pump my own gas.

I thought about stopping for a late lunch at the Bridgeside but zoomed by and got back on the freeway.

I still had to drop off my TKO stuff at Rooster Rock. When I'd been there in the morning, the ranger station was closed but this time a person was checking & selling parking permits. I told them I was with TKO and there to drop off my stuff, and the ranger waved me through.

All in all, a good day in the Gorge.