Saturday, December 23, 2023

Hike: Grouse Vista Trail to Silver Star Mountain V, Yacolt, WA


Getting There    

I took L-1200 out of Washougal to get there. It's 7 miles up a gravel road from the end of the pavement on Skamania Mines Road and it's 18 miles from Washougal. You can also reach the trailhead from the north via Yacolt.

The road was in great shape, very few potholes or washboards. Looks like it was recently re-graveled, probably for logging. I saw some new access roads and big pile of gravel along the way. No snow on the road at all, accessible to all vehicles.

The Hike

AllTrails map

Length: 6.97 mi
Elev. gain: 2,142 ft
Moving time: 3:05:53
Total time: 3:19:09
Avg pace: 26:40
Calories: 1,876









The trail was its usual rocky self for the first 1/2 mile or so then I started to see snow that had fallen from branches above. Where the canopy was most dense, the trail was bare rock. As the branches overhead began to thin out, more snow was making it to the ground.

Starting at the top of that initial steep section, the snow was thicker, maybe 3-6 inches. It was wet snow and fell in clumps. I was just hiking in my fleece layer but I got some snow down the back of my neck a couple of times. I stopped to put on my jacket and hoist the hood.

This was my first hike in my new Keen Targhee IIs. Overall, I'm happy with the boots but am wondering if I should have a bit more ankle support. I may still get the Salomons after all. Ssshh :) I could definitely tell that the outer soles were thicker and supportive. My right foot is still angry that I'm hiking but the pain was more than tolerable.

The sky was blue and just a few clouds that added to the scene and didn't block the gorgeous sunlight. I never felt the need for microspikes: the snow was well packed and not slippery. The trail was a bit easier to negotiate since the usual rocks were buried. The stiff heel in the Targhee IIs seemed to help during my descent.

I passed several groups on my ascent. Many doggos!

At the top, the views were endless in all directions. The major Cascade peaks were out: Rainier, Adams, St Helens, Hood. I didn't really check but I'd bet that Jefferson & Washington were visible to the south and someone on AllTrails mentioned being able to see Saddle Mountain in the Coastal Range.

It wasn't too cold but it was windy. I went to the old fire lookout first. There were several people up there already. I took a few requisite photos, tightened my boots, and took a big bite of a Clif Bar. I headed to the other high spot.

Wow, it was windy over there. Bits of ice carried by some sporadic gusts sandblasted my face. The wind was steady but wasn't quite as strong as the other day at Hamilton. Nevertheless, I only stayed for a min to take a couple photos.

My stay at the top only lasted 15 mins. A lot of effort for a brief stay. The hike is about the journey, not the destination. At least, that's what I tell myself in situations like this. I had a sandwich and could have lingered longer. Next time, like I always say.

I wanted plenty of time for my descent with nice afternoon light. It was worth it. 

The bottom section is brutal. My R knee was complaining a lot and so was my foot. Probably related since I was walking differently to compensate for the foot thing.