Sunday, February 4, 2024

Hike: Angel's Rest, Corbett, OR

Getting There

What an adventure! I set out from Portland without knowing where I was going to hike. I just knew I wanted to get outside for this rare, unseasonably warm weather. I've been wanting to get back to Wahkeena Falls #420 trail since the snow and ice storm in January.

When I reached the parking lot, it was windy and the Oregon side of the river was in shadow. Even though I'd just done Hamilton, the sunny side of the river (WA) looks so much more appealing. I blasted by the Multnomah Falls parking lot and continued onto Cascade Locks. I crossed the bridge and headed to Stevenson to get some snacks. 

On the way back, I decided against Hamilton and crossed the river again, another $3 and decided to go for the Wahkeena hike after all. I parked and suited up and was ready for the climb. The parking lot was nearly full so I didn't want to bother with the Multnomah Falls hike. I crossed under the freeway and headed to the traverse trail #442. Unfortunately, there was no way to reach the trail due to deep snow & ice. There was no way to walk along the road, too sketch.

Reluctantly, I walked back to the car and wondered if I was going to hike at all.

I decided on Angel's Rest. There's no exit from the westbound side of the I-84 so I had to go all the way to Rooster Rock and turn around. I backtracked to the Bridal Falls exit and found the main parking lot and overflow lot both full. Sad face! Frustrated, I headed south on Hwy 30 hoping for a last option, Latourell. Dammit. It was closed for repairs and maintenance.

I was dressed for a hike and had no where to go. It was getting late in the day for a long hike, ~2pm. I decided to give Angel's Rest another shot. There still wasn't any room in the main lot but I found one spot next to the road. I was weary of getting my car broken into.

The grabbed my pack and poles and started the hike.

The Hike

Length: 5.19 mi
Elev. gain: 1,490 ft
Moving time: 2:22:32
Avg pace: 27:29
Calories: 1,439
Total time: 2:44:23







It worked out in the end. The trail was in great shape. A little bit of mud and ice but otherwise, well groomed. 

I passed a bunch of hikers on the way down but it never felt crowded despite the number of cars in the lot. I was overdressed for the warm weather. I eventually stopped and stowed my outer shell jacket. The sunlight was gorgeous and golden. No snow except a couple of random patches deep in the bushes. If I'd been there sooner, I might have tried to get to Devil's Rest as well but will have to save that for another day.

On the way down, I noticed a hiker with a red MSHI patch. I said hello and introduced myself as a fellow volunteer. She recognized my name and said she'd sat next to me at the Volcano Naturalist class in Castle Rock. (Small world!)

In the end, it wasn't a particularly strenuous hike but I was glad to have gotten out there.