Sunday, March 17, 2024

Snowshoe: Sahalie Falls, Mt Hood Meadows Nordic Center, OR


Getting There

I got an early start from Portland. I took Hwy 26 through Government Camp. From GC, I continued on Hwy 26 to Hwy 35 toward Hood River. The MH Meadows Nordic Center is north of the main lodge for Mt Hood Meadows by about 2 miles. It's a left turn onto Elk Meadows Trailhead to the Nordic Center and the Mt Hood Express parking lot.

I was there about an hour early. I bellied up to the window and the person showed me where to meet the group. I took my time getting ready and sauntered over to the meeting spot at 9:30a. I didn't see anyone else with snowshoes. I heard someone from the next row of cars in the parking lot. It was Debbie, the guide. I was the only one signed up for the 9:30a session.

She was trying to recruit a group of novice snowshoers to join us but they passed. I chatted with Debbie for few minutes and we set off across the parking lot.

The Hike

Distance: 2.40 miles
Elevation Gain: 199 ft
Max Elevation: 4,580 ft










There was a spot on the road where others had left footprints. I'm not seeing any trails on the AllTrails or Footpath but there were signs marking the route. We meandered through the trees for a bit and eventually hopped on the shared snowshoe-xc track. There is the groomed tracks for skinned skis, a wide smooth path for waxed skis, and a little room on the edge for snowshoers. 

I learned that skiers pay about $30 a day to use the nordic park. The groomed tracks are redone daily via snowmobile pulling a metal form. Debbie had run the Nordic Center and knew a lot of people on the trail. I was happy to just hang out while she chitchatted.

We ascended a slight incline to Sahalie Falls. It got the overview of the hiking trails and snowshoe routes in the immediate area. She took a couple pictures of me in front of the falls and while we where there, took picks for another pair of skiers and a solo guy.

Sahalie Falls

We backtracked down the trail a bit and cut into the trees (marked with "Snowshoe Trail") and headed to the meadow near the Express chairlift.

Debbie pointed out some White Pine trees that were scattered around, unusual to see amongst the Firs.

The trail skirts the meadow. We eventually encountered the group we'd seen in the parking lot earlier. Debbie helped a couple novice snowshoers adjust their bindings and get situated. One person said she appreciated the "mothering", esp. as we get older.

Mt Hood - Elk Meadows

Elk Meadows

Debbie - my guide

We reached the Meadows Express chairlift. Apparently, many Hood River locals start from this side of the mountain and skip the main lodge. They don't have rental facilities but ample parking and smaller crowds.

We traversed back to the Nordic Center. Debbie talked to people sitting outside their cars in the sun. "Do I know you? You look like so-and-so.", "How much is the push bumper?". I was wearing my red MSHI patch so it seemed like no one realized I was just a "tourist".

We got back to the Nordic Center. I'd planned to drop my gear and grab my sandwich to hang out. When I realized how early it was, I decided to head to White River Sno-Park.

I dropped off my comment card and tip envelope on the office and Debbie gave me a hug, saying she was glad to have met and to come back again for the Umbrella Falls or Vista tour.

In hindsight, I'd signed up for the guided trip to meet others but it was still a worthy outing.