Thursday, March 7, 2024

Snowshoe: Hummocks + Boundary Trails, Mt St Helens, Toutle, WA


Getting There

From Castle Rock, just off I-5, take WA-504 east for for 43.3 miles to the MSH Science and Learning Center. Then, take the cloverleaf turn and follow the road for 2.4 miles to the Hummocks Trailhead.

The decision to head out there was seeded by the the Science & Learning Center's previous day FB post about being the perfect snowshoe conditions. That was all the incentive I needed.

SR504 was clear all the way, save a couple if spots that were in the shade that the plows didn't clear. Otherwise, it was the perfect bluebird day. I thought the SLC parking would be open as well as the balcony but the gate was closed when I was heading out.

The Hike

Length: 2.84 mi
Elev. gain: 238 ft
Moving time: 1:29:46
Avg pace: 32:25
Calories: 705
Total time: 1:44:04








The snow plows had pushed a berm of snow up to the trailhead sign. As I was getting my gear on, I peeked at the trail. It looked well tamped down by other hikers/snowshoers. Since it is relatively flat, I decided I didn't need microspikes and that I would carry my snowshoes until I needed them.

It had been a minute since my last visit to the Hummocks but the trail is well marked and I just followed the path. While it was easy to walk on, the sun was melting the snow enough to make it soft in spots and my foot sank to the ankle.

I still didn't need snowshoes but it was getting tricky and I tried my best to tread lightly. I didn't realize it at the time but at a split in the trail I took the more weathered path which was partly the loop trail. I followed it to the view point where the Hummocks Trail meets the the Boundary Trail up to Johnston Ridge.

The trail was about the same as it had been but I put on the snowshoes anyway. Better than carrying them, and I could use my poles. I surveyed the area and headed east on the Boundary Trail.

I didn't think I had time for the entire trek up to Johnston Ridge but decided to go for awhile. It was so peaceful and warm. I had to remove some of my warm gear. I was so happy to have prescription sunglasses. I found some sunscreen on the trail and should have used it but you know.. hygiene. I donned my jacket's hood. I knew if I would be out there for extended period of time, I would have gotten a sunburn.

When the trail starts to gain elevation up a small gully, the trail was "messy". The well tamped trail became an obvious but posthole mess. Even though I'd only gone about a mile from the parking lot, travel in snowshoes is grindingly slow.

I took my sweet time on the way back to soak in the scenery and take a few pictures. I wished I'd had a lot more time but I wanted to save some time for a stop at Coldwater Lake and maybe SLC. I knew that there was not precipitation in the forecast for a couple of days so I wasn't worried about getting stuck out there.

Nevertheless, I made slow-steady progress back to the parking lot.

Near on of the many ponds in the hummocks, I noticed a lot of animal fur on the snow. Did a bear sleep there? was an animal killed there? what was going on?

My senses were heightened and I cautiously raised my guard. It looked pretty fresh, given all the snow that has fallen on the area in the last week or two. I certainly wasn't going to be able to do much in snowshoes and my knife was stowed and not accessible though I'm not sure how much good it would do unless there was close contact, a last ditch effort to defend myself. <shuddddder>. Hopefully, if it was a kill, the predator wasn't still hungry. I saw some large round footprints leading down a steep hill and disappearing in the trees.

When I reached the parking lot, a car with three girls were there. I think they were smoking some weed. It didn't seem like they were there to hike or even get out and look. I waved as I was opening my car doors to get my gear stowed but paid no attention.






I finally was ready to go and pulled out of the parking lot and drove over to Coldwater Lake. There weren't any cars on the picnic side by the Birth of a Lake trail.

Coldwater Lake

After a spin on the Hummocks + Boundary Trails, I drove across SR504 to Coldwater Lake and the Birth of a Lake boardwalk trail.

I should have put on my winter boots but it looked like I could walk without them. I did get a bit of snow in my wool shoes but it wasn't a big deal. It was so gorgeous. I see some ducks and geese in the water and at the shoreline.

The boardwalk was full of snow but it was well packed for street shoes.

When I drove out, you have to go past the boat launch parking lot and I noticed there weren't any cars here either.



oops. off axis



A few shots from Castle Lake Viewpoint

MSH

Coldwater Peak