Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Hike: Falls Creek Falls, Carson, WA


Getting There

From Portland/Vancouver, take I-84 to Cascade Locks, then cross the Bridge of the Gods and head east on WA-14 through Stevenson to the Carson. Take the Wind River Hwy and go for 14.4 miles. Just after the Carson National Fish Hatchery, take the right (north) on NF-30 (Meadow Creek Road). Go for about 2 miles and take a right on NF-3062. The road is pretty bumpy with dips and potholes but I saw lots of low-clearance cars that made it to the trailhead parking lot. It's about 2.5 miles from the turnoff.

I really wanted to hike something new. I think I'd had my sights on a Gorge hike but nothing seemed feasible (Multnomah Falls requires a parking pass and there were cars everywhere at Eagle Creek.) I remember seeing some pictures from this waterfall on IG.

I really didn't know what to expect. I was wondering if it was going to be a deserted trail like Bunker Hill but to my surprise the parking lot was huge and it was mostly filled with cars.

I immediately thought, "I'm gonna knock this out, then split to somewhere a bit quieter."

The Hike

Distance: 3.63 miles
Elevation Gain: 755 feet
Maximum Elevation: 2,081 feet






The trail is pretty rad, to be honest. There's not much elevation gain and your always within earshot of the creek.

The route reminds me a bit of Forest Park but with water! Near the end of the trail, you start to catch glimpses of the water as the noise level rises. It was sunny out but the shade and breeze made it so nice.


There were a bunch of people hanging out: taking pictures, sitting and chatting, a teenager exploring around the boulders. 

I was in awe of the double waterfall. Spectacular. I can see why so many people love to come here.

I only stayed for a little while before starting back for the trailhead.

This would be a good place to bring someone who doesn't hike much, or with dogs, or to have a picnic.