Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Hike: Toutle/Cinnamon Loop, Cougar, WA


Getting There

This was the first co-rove with Rod that we had planned after our mentor session. I was a bit hesitant since I suspected we would not see many, if any, visitors. The point of roving is to interact with people. Rod seemed more interested in scouting trail work though has a talent for interpretation and talking with visitors. Technically, we were going to a trail within the monument so it was "fair game".

We met at his house and carpool to pick up the radio in Chelatchie, and continue up to the trailhead at the Kalama Horse Camp.

Take Lewis River Road (SR-503) to the turnoff for Merrill Lake, then travel a bit further on NF-81 to KHC.

I called into Columbia Dispatch and we set out for the hike.

The Hike

Distance: 6.05 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,070 feet
Maximum Elevation: 2,984 feet

The plan was to hike on the Toutle Trail to Cougar Creek Road, then loop back to KHC via the Cinnamon Trail. Along the way we saw this "chair" next to the trail.

We also encountered some trail runners going in the opposite direction, towards KHC and back to Red Rocks Trailhead via the Cinnamon Trail. We expected to cross path again later. I was happy to at least log 2 visitor interactions for my roving report.




Things were going as planned. We stopped at Cougar Creek Road for lunch in the shade and listen to the Kalama River for a bit. It was about a mile to the Cinnamon Trail from there. We stopped again at the junction for a snack and water break.

We noticed some yellow Caution tape on the ground and guessed it was the work of ne'er-do-wells or vandals and continued on our merry way.

We began to lose elevation quite a bit while admiring the work of previous trail crews to widen & level the tread.

Unfortunately, this relatively easy going would soon end. We reached a nearly impassable section of blown-down and debris, completely obliterating and obscuring the trail. AllTrails had the route near the cliff which was partly gone. Well sheet. We probably should have turned back but that would have meant ascending quite a bit to Cougar Creek Road, then backtracking the way we had come on the Toutle Trail. 

I knew that we were so close the KHC, we just had to find a way through. I considered following the Kalama River if it was even possible.



I was a bit worried about my companion to get through this stuff. I did my best to way-find the best way through it all. It was slow-going and difficult. I was dirty with soot and got a few scratches & scrapes.

Thankfully, I had my foldable pruning saw so I was able to clear a path for Rod behind me.


What a relief! I finally found the trail again and it was relatively free of obstacles and obstructions. I knew we both had the same thoughts, thank goodness we didn't have to go around the long way and we were new safely on our way back to the car.


All's well that ends well!