Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Hike: Hamilton Mountain + Hardy Creek, N Bonneville, WA


Getting There

Just after Doetsch Ranch you'll see the Ranger Station on the north side of the road just before the Beacon Rock parking lot, then another road across from the bathrooms. The road winds up the hill for a bit.

It was early afternoon and the weather was questionable: overcast skies but humid. I accepted that the views might be obscured but then again, I'm often treated to a surprise once I get up to Little Hamilton and higher.

The Hike

Length: 9.12 mi
Elev. gain: 2,346 ft
Moving time: 3:56:28
Avg pace: 25:56
Calories: 2,392
Total time: 5:08:21










With the MSHI volunteering and WTA trail work, I haven't been getting many long hikes in this summer. The whole thing with vertigo also derailed me a bit. I returned to my old favorite mountain and trail to do a little catch up for my MSH summit attempt next month.

While I feel strong and fit, rarely do I start this hike with a "crush it" attitude. It's more of a "I hope I make it to the top." I know I had plenty of day light even if my pace was slower than usual so I plodded along, making sure to smell the flowers and make my requisite stop at Little Hamilton for its amazing 360° views.

The clouds still blanketed the sky but it was also a bit humid. I drank my water and popped a couple electrolyte tablets in my mouth.

Panoramic view from Little Hamilton

Cloudy skies over Hamilton Mountain

North Bonneville, WA

I knew I wanted to add the Saddle, Don's Cutoff, and Little Beacon but for now I was just happy to reach the top. And the clouds had mostly cleared. It felt less humid.

Table Mountain from the Hamilton summit

I was carrying my foldable hand saw and cut some low branches on the ridge between the summit and the Saddle. I thought I was alone until I heard voice behind me rather close. I wanted to do my trail work in anonymity so I hurried with a cut, tossed the branch aside and scurried. I'm sure the people behind me heard my rushed steps or perhaps, my backpacks bouncing on my hips & shoulders.

I reached the Saddle and slowed down a bit. I made my way to the other side where took off my pack and had lunch. I wasn't hungry but my sandwich was good in the outdoors and sunshine.

The two hikers I'd heard behind me arrived to the Saddle. They had a dog. I looked up from my lunch and said hello to them and acknowledged the dog. They didn't reply but looked at me. Weird. I don't get it when people don't reciprocate a simple hello or wave or something.

The Hamilton Saddle

Bonneville Dam from The Saddle

The other hikers had stopped in the shade as I was finishing up. I walked past and gave an obligatory wave but they didn't even look up. I continued down the Equestrian trail. When I reached the junction, I took Don's Cutoff. I hoped I didn't see these two again because they would probably think I was following.

Fortunately, I reached the Hardy Creek junction at the creek crossing without seeing anyone.

I love the lower Hardy Creek trail.

I saw a few people at Rodney Falls wearing Converse sneakers. I was going to stop at the falls overlook but noticed a person sitting there. I didn't need to go up there.

At the powerlines, I took the trail through Hadley Grove. I was going to take the shortcut from the access road but found it overgrown and I wasn't sure if there was anything poisonous or with thorns. I stayed on the gravel road all the way to the campground. I double-backed into Hadley Grove and made it to the saddle at Little Beacon. 

A woman was there on her phone. She finished her called with "I love you too, Mom". We chatted briefly about how picturesque the place was and she mentioned seeing a turkey vulture on the rock. I pointed at the steep hill I was going to climb from additional views. I noticed that the log that was blocking the path for awhile had been cut. We wished each other nice rest of the afternoon.

I swiftly ascended the embankment to the ridge. I had the place to myself, as usual.

I stayed up there for awhile and was thankful for being able to come to this place periodically. I thought about waiting until sunset but it was going to be at least an hour or two. Oh well, still some amazing shots & lighting.

Looking west from Little Beacon Rock

"Hi!"

Beacon Rock (proper) from Little Beacon

Looking north from Little Beacon Rock