Sunday, August 18, 2024

Hike: Tamawanas Falls + Cloud Cap Inn/Tilly Jane, Parkdale, OR

Getting There

You can reach this trailhead from Hood River but I was still unsure where I would land when I left the house. I drove I-84 from Portland to Exit 16 and headed toward Mt Hood via Hwy 26.

My tentative plan was to hike up to McNeil Point from the Top Spur Trailhead but when I reached the turnoff for Lolo Pass, I kept driving.

My next thought was hiking up to Tom, Dick, and Harry Mountain via the Mirror Lake Trail #664. As usual the trailhead parking lot was packed to the gills. I might have found a spot in the Ski Bowl parking lot but wasn't sure. A full lot means a lot of people on the trail. 

The burrito I got at New Seasons was not sitting well. I stopped in Government Camp to use the loo and get some fuel. I searched for a hike nearby and found Tamawanas Falls.

When I passed by White River, where I've snowshoed several times, there was plenty of room in the parking lot but I was kind of in a funk. I kept going. I sorta thought I drive all the way down to Hood River and try to hike Lyle-Cherry Orchard.

When I reached the Tamawanas Falls Trailhead, it was overflowing with cars. Argh! I zoomed by. I sorta thought I drive all the way down to Hood River and try to hike Lyle-Cherry Orchard. Not far down the road, I saw the Polallie Trailhead. I had no idea what trails this would give me access to but I pulled over and parked.

I geared up and poked my head around the corner down the road. I opened my Google Maps app and realized the trails were across the street. I ran across the road and started up.

The Hike

Length: 4.89 mi
Elev. gain: 1,078 ft
Moving time: 2:00:34
Avg pace: 25:11
Calories: 1,220
Total time: 2:10:33






 



There was a junction not far up the trail, after the first short switchback. I looked at the map again and saw that one trail followed the road and I imagined hearing the traffic. Nope. So I opted to go the other way, Elk Meadow. I still had no idea where this was leading but I didn't really care. 

To be honest, I was a bit relieved when a couple passed me in the other direction and asked what I knew about the "road not taken". I said I didn't know and picked this one since it was away from the road. I hoped there was a viewpoint somewhere and kept heading deeper into the forest.

When I reached the trail junction for Tamawanas Falls Trail, I had a new plan! The waterfall and I didn't have to hike with the throngs of people I saw parked at the trailhead.

I passed another pair of hikers heading the other direction.

Eventually, I reached the junction for the Tamawanas Falls Trail, the out-n-back part. There were lots of people here but I was glad I had a plan. I would take a spin to the falls, snap some photos and at least have got some trail time.

I only lingered for a little while then started my return hike to the car. Instead of returning the way I came, I followed the Tamawanas Falls Trail to the East Fork Trail.

Such a beautiful trail along the North Fork Cold Spring Creek.

Indeed, the North Fork Trail parallels Hwy 35 and I could hear the car noise. I reached the Polallie Trailhead and my car.

Now what? It wasn't a very difficult or long hike.





---

I thought about driving back to Portland the way I'd come, Hwy 26 through Gov't Camp & Sandy. Instead, I continued northbound on Hwy 35. Less than a mile from where I'd parked, I saw the turn for Cooper Spur. I considered going to Laurence Lake and trying to get some views of the Parkdale Lava Flow.

When I got to the Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, I noticed Cloud Cap Road on the left. Hmm.

I followed it up to the Tilly Jane Sno-Park parking lot and made a mental note. This must be the start of the difficult trail up to the Cloud Cap Inn and the Cooper Spur next to Eliot Glacier.

I knew I was on the road to the Inn. I'd been wanting to visit this place for several years!

The road wasn't too bad, I passed a bunch of lower clearance cars on their way down. It's narrow in spot and not devoid of potholes and dips but it was much better than the road to Cold Springs Campground to the South Climbing route on Mt Adams.

A couple of vehicles appeared in my rear view mirror. I found a spot to pull over and let them pass.

When I got to the junction for Tilly Jane, it said one mile and I calculated I was adding three miles to the drive but was surprised that the campground was just around the corner, more or less. (Maybe it said 0.1 miles). I wanted to see the A frame but somehow missed it. I photographed the Ranger Station and walked through the campground. The A-frame was just 100 meters from where I'd parked. Oh well.



I hopped back in my Jeep and headed to Cloud Cap. Wowwee! The views were endless.

I hiked around to the side of the Inn that faced Mt Hood. It was hidden in clouds on the SW side, including the summit. It made for some dramatic photos. I could see Eliot Glacier and it seemed like you could almost touch it.

I sorta wished I'd come here first so I could hike to the end of Cooper Spur! Next time! Maybe before the end of this summer.