Sunday, August 25, 2024

Hike: Packwood Lake, Packwood, WA


Getting There

From I-5, take Hwy US-12 eastbound for about 65 miles through Morton & Randle to Packwood. Drive through town until you reach the intersection for Skate Creek Road + Snyder Road. Take Snyder Road (east) for about 1.5 miles until it becomes NF-1260. Continue for about 4.5 miles to the Packwood Lake Trailhead.

The trail is for hikers and pack animals. It's a huge parking lot with a pit toilet, and ample room for horse trailers.

The Hike

Length: 9.25 mi
Elev. gain: 1,578 ft
Moving time: 3:08:59
Avg pace: 20:26
Calories: 1,912
Total time: 3:34:55





I kind of wanted to head up to Paradise or to Reflection Lakes and hike up to Pinnacle + Plummer Peaks but there weren't any timed entries available. I thought about heading down to Cispus and driving up to the Burley Mountain Lookout but I wanted to get out on the trail.

Packwood Lake Trail looked like a good option, albeit not as challenging as I might have wanted. I half expected the parking lot to be empty. I had no idea. Packwood Lake is a popular entry point for the Goat Rocks Wilderness. I passed a scout troop and another group of backpackers.

Before I got started, a couple with minimal gear set out and another person that didn't have a pack. I never saw them on the trail but did when I reached the lake. I learned from the forest ranger that it's quite popular spot. Maybe the mid-Aug rain had scared many away. I wondered if the Rainier permit situation drove people to try alternate hikes in the area.

The lake was beautiful and huge. The water was that emerald green glacial water. The island in the middle was from an ancient landslide. I noticed a hydro-electric dam near the ranger stations but learned the lake is about 1000 year old.

 
The 1910 Ranger Station is currently being restored in a partnership between the USDA Forest Service and volunteers. 



There are a couple dozen epic campsites that have been grandfathered in by the USFS. The PCT is not far from the lake via the Upper Lake Creek & Coyote Trails, approximately 5 miles.

I was happy to reach the trailhead parking lot but I still wanted to hike more and some elevation gain. Next stop: High Rock Lookout.