Getting There
I wanted to get in one more hike for WTA's Hike-a-Thon. I was expecting to see signs about needing a permit for Multnomah Falls but I never saw one (Hwy 30, I-84). I decided to chance it. When I arrived in the parking lot there are a number of open spots so I thought I was golden. I got geared up and started towards the tunnel.
I realized there were a number of people milling around near the ramp down the tunnel. I thought they were just waiting for people at their car or a shuttle pickup. I noticed two people in orange vests at the tunnel entrance: they were checking permits. Fuck! I scanned the QR code and paid $2 but my time slot was for 3pm but it was only 2:20pm. After a min, I decided "fuck that". I'm not waiting 40 mins to start my hike, I can't afford to waste the daylight.
Annoyed, I marched back to the Jeep and threw my stuff in the back. I wasn't even going to see the Falls, I was hiking away. I wondered if the "gatekeepers" would have let me through, given my intent and destination.
I hopped back on the freeway and went to Horsetail Falls via exit 35 (Ainsworth State Park). There was one open spot but at least I wasn't parked on the side of the road like last time.
The Hike
Length: 5.98 miles
Elev. gain: 1,644ft
Moving time: 2h 29m
Total time: 2h 46m
Avg. pace: 24:49
Calories: 1,309
Total time: 2h 46m
Even though it was just 2 days since my big hike at Hamilton/BRSP, I felt like my legs were in good enough condition to go for another spin. To be honest, my left hand still hurt and my jaw is still sore, for some reason. It was for a good cause: Hike-a-Thon!
I passed a few people on the way up but pretty much had the place to myself.
To my surprise, I made it to Triple Falls in about an hour. Dang! Not to shabby. I feel really good about climbing MSH next month.... two weeks!!!! I've been worried my lack of hikes this year would set me back physically but I've still been doing trailwork, i.e. hiking with tools but not the same mileage or EG.
This close to my climb date, I feel like I have the right level of fitness. Combined with proper nutrition (before and during) and mental toughness & resilience I should have a successful day on the mountain. The biggest unknown is the conditions: weather, fires.
Since I was feeling good I figured I keep going up, the bridge back across the creek. I also set a turn around time of 4pm and it was already 3:40pm. The trail looked like it had been brushed somewhat recently, however I got to a spot where it looked like the trail work ended. The fireweed seeds were drifting in the air all over the place. When I would brush against them, it would cause of cloud of seeds to surround me. Ugh. I didn't want to deal with that for another 1/4 mile for minimal distance and EG gain. This was a exercise hike after all.
I promptly turned around and enjoyed my descent.
There was one sunbather at Triple Falls so I did my best to give them their privacy. I took some photos facing north, a(nother) selfie.
I felt good about my decision to get out of the house.
This was routine hike.
I made it back across the river and continued towards the viewpoint west of Ponytail Falls.
The views from there are great. I noticed the plaque for Glenn W. Replogle, a 14-yo that fell from Horsetail Falls in 1988. Sad and a reminder that these beautiful places are also dangerous and demand respect.
I loved seeing Archer and Hamilton across the river, formed 5-17 millions years ago.
See Columbia River Basalt Group.
