Friday, September 25, 2026

Hike: Smith Rock State Park, Terrebonne, OR

Getting There

From Bend, take Hwy 97 northbound to Terrebonne, about 21 miles. Take a right on Smith Rock Way (east) and follow to the parking lot, about 2.5 miles.

--- 

My day had started elsewhere. I had a hiking permit for South Sister via Devil's Lake. I wasn't summiting but just wanted to scope out the lower part of the climb from the TH to Moraine Lake. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible. I still drove out the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway, past Bachelor, past Todd Lake, past Green Lakes. Actually, I'd been there two days before.

I found a spot in the parking lot and was surprised how many cars were there. Terrible time to climb and maybe some where camping part way up. I knew right away, this hike wasn't gonna happen: cold, rainy, no views. It didn't seem like things would clear anytime soon. (I laughed that the storm would clear as soon as I got back to Bend.).

I bailed Devil's Lake and ventured up to the Todd Lake TH. It was busy with cars but the weather still sucked. I made the call to ditch this whole place and hike at Smith Rock. The weather was great and I could get some decent mileage and EG. 

I got back to Bend and made my way up to Terrebonne and on to the park.

I parked on the road instead of pulling into the lot I used a couple years ago, then go geared up.

The Hike

Length: 7.36mi
Elev. gain: 1,857ft
Moving time: 3h 17m
Avg. pace: 26:47
Calories: 1,738
Total time: 4h 55m

 

 

 

 

 

 

In usual fashion, I felt like I had more gear than necessary compared to the other hikers and sightseers heading down into the canyon.

I made it down to the river and turned right. I could start my ascent right away on the Misery Ridge trail or try the counterclockwise route by heading up the Burma Road. I'd already done the clockwise route last time so why not switch it up.

Actually, I wasn't sure I wanted to do the big loop. I started up the Misery Ridge trail and planned on doing the short loop.




I made good progress up to the top of the ridge. It was a bit taxing but not terrible given the shape I was in and recent hiking. I was drenched so I changed shirts.. oops. I forgot another base layer and just had long johns. LOL. I put my fleece over bare skin. Dammit!

I did some exploration off-trail and got some shots. The last time I'd hiked here I did more off-trail but noticed a large group of people where I wanted to go. I suspected they were rock climbing. Actually, there were a lot of slack lines rigged up around the park.






When I got near Monkey Face, there were a bunch of climbers. Honestly, seeing those people made my stomach drop. There was rigging and ropes but someone had to climb without the safety to get set up. 

I descended on the trail and thought about my next plan. When I got to the trail junction, I stopped. I could do the short loop or commit to the longer route back to the Summit Trail and Burma Road. I wanted a challenge. I also got my damp base layer and ditched the fleece. I knew the shirt would dry in this warm air.

I remember hearing a leaf blower across from Monkey Face and got annoyed. Even out here, it's sometimes difficult to escape the intrusion of sounds like this. I flipped some unseen person the bird,.. several times.

I knew I had plenty of daylight and really only needed to reach the top of the Burma Road before sunset. You can see the trailhead from there.

The hike is not that difficult. It climbs steadily but it's only a couple miles. I recall my last hike here and wondering how far it was because I hadn't scoped it out. This time I was traveling over (somewhat) known territory.









I did a side quest and found several slack lines attached to rocks on this side of the park. I thought I heard voices but never actually saw anyone. Guessing a group had set everything up for subsequent days of climbing and slacklining. 

When I got near the top of the Burma Road, I was a little sad, I didn't want the hike to be over yet. I linged for a bit and took off my pack and had a snack. The sun was amazing. I could still see that Three Sisters was still getting hammered by the storm. I knew I'd made the right decision to bail on the Moraine Lake, it never magically cleared up.

Before heading down the Burma Road segment, I considered the effort to reach the Eagle's Nest viewpoint. The "Scar" is incredibly steep, not sure I had the time and energy to go up. I still wanted to preserve my legs for the last hike at Black Crater.

In hindsight, the best option would be to arrive at Smith Rock earlier in the day so time wasn't an issue and use the Gray Butte Connector Trail and maybe come down The Scar. That's for another time and good reason to return for a third hike.








When I got near the top of the Burma Road, I was a little sad, I didn't want the hike to be over yet. I linged for a bit and took off my pack and had a snack. The sun was amazing. I could still see that Three Sisters was still getting hammered by the storm. I knew I'd made the right decision to bail on the Moraine Lake, it never magically cleared up.

Before heading down the Burma Road segment, I considered the effort to reach the Eagle's Nest viewpoint. The "Scar" is incredibly steep, not sure I had the time and energy to go up. I still wanted to preserve my legs for the last hike at Black Crater.

In hindsight, the best option would be to arrive at Smith Rock earlier in the day so time wasn't an issue and use the Gray Butte Connector Trail and maybe come down The Scar. That's for another time and good reason to return for a third hike. 

I strolled down the Burma Road and reflected on my trip. Paradoxically, it didn't got as planned even though I was winging it every day. I had some goals but no itinerary. The weather had interrupted my last-minute plans but it worked out. I really tried to not repeat any hikes or destination but it happened anyway. In previous years, the wildfire smoke had made me change plans. Shit happens. I am lucky to be able to spend 5-6 days in Bend every year.


When I got down to the river, I heard some voices. They where likely the group that had rigged the slack lines overhead. I saw them off-trail but didn't stop to say anything. I scooted along at my usual pace.


Once back near the start of the Misery Ridge trail, I saw a group of three staring way up. I scanned the sheer rock face and saw one climber about 20 feet. It conjured a thought about the Eiger since I'd read Joe Simpson's "The Beckoning Silence" and had started Heinrich Harrer's "The White Spider". Then, I looked up even higher and saw a person on a slack line hundreds of feet up. They were about 2/3rd to the other side when he fell. OMfG. Of course, they had a safety rope attached to the slack line. It was amazing to see this person get back on the rope. I can't imagine the pressures and facing fears. What a place to "practice". I almost couldn't watch, what if the safety measures failed?

I crossed the bridge and took the long route. It offered view perspectives of the southwest part of the park. I'd hiked down there last time but I was ready to get back to the car. The light was fading fast. The park is closed at dusk but I'm not actually means. There were certainly a lot of folks still on the rock and they'd certainly be descending in darkness with headlamps.

I spied three more slack lines and tiny figures trying to get across without falling. Falling seems inevitable, knowing how to get back on the line is the skill. (Like a kayak where you have to know how to right yourself: kayak roll. Sounds like the name of a sushi dish!).




Back at the car, I got out of my boots and had a snack. I took a few more pictures before the sun slid behind the rocks.