Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Hike: Boundary, Meadow, Confluence, and Sandy River Delta Loop, Troutdale, OR

AllTrails map


Length: 5.66 miles (Loop 3.3mi plus more)
Elevation Gain: 59 feet
Type: Loop
Steps: ~12,393


Getting There

I stopped at the Subway at Cascade Station. I was thinking about popping into Target to get some sundries but I didn't have a solid list so bailed and drove out to Sandy.

It was raining when pulled into the nearly empty lot. Even as I sat there, I wasn't sure if I was going to hike or take off.


The Hike

I had to get out to get my rain coat. I knew then that I was going in my Keens and leaving the hiking boots in the car. I zipped up and locked up. I noticed a parking pass was required so I grabbed my Oregon State Park pass out of the glove box and put it on the dash.

I went for the Boundary Trail. I was trying to find the junction I found last time I was out there but I never did. I keep going along the edge of the park toward the bird blind. There were tons of puddles but most of the ground was hard packed soil or clay. I found a few surprise spots of mud but didn't slip n fall.
I was able to take off my rain coat for awhile the another downpour happens. I was getting drenched on my legs. I expected it and welcomed the water. 

I made a quick spot at the bird blind but made my way back to the Boundary Trail instead of following the channel like usual.

When I got back to the power lines, I went for a look at the cove where people let their dogs play in the water. I followed the shore as long as I could. On the way back, a large dog (50+ lbs) came running toward me. I didn't see the owner. (Last time I was there, a dog jumped up on me with its tail wagging; the owners were mortified and apologetic). I wasn't sure if this dog was going to do the same or bite me or what.

He skimmed by and tried to lick my hand. The owner appeared and called to the dog who obeyed. She didn't say a word to me and took off down the trail. So weird. 

I was going to take the same trail and figured the woman and her dog was trotted off however I was only a few feet in when I saw here stopped. The trail was narrow and overgrown with foliage. I quickly surmised that I didn't want another encounter with that dog and not in a narrow area in the trees.

I turned on my heels and walked away as casually and quietly as possible. I headed back to the power lines where I had detoured. There was a couple with two dogs who made not effort to control the dogs nor assure me that they were "friendly". Weird. Fuck those people. (I encountered more dog n owner pairs, once with two on-leash dogs and one with off-leash who stopped, grabbed the dog's collar and left me pass; responsible owners!)

I got to the meadow near the parking lot and didn't want my walk to end so early. I keep going toward the Sandy River. I saw a sign somewhere that said "0.3 mile to Sandy River". It was easy walking but came across a burnt log that was deliberately placed across the trail. There were and probably still are homeless people living in the park somewhere on the west edge. 

The further I went, the more spur and side trails I found. It was getting difficult to know which one was the "0.3mi trail". I'd left my phone in the car cuz the battery was low. I had no GPS to help me get back. I decided it wasn't worth it and didn't want to stumble into someone's camp. (I suspect the rude lady with did was a "resident" and scouting for "stuff" and not a casual hiker with her dog.)

I finally headed toward the parking lot and didn't really see anymore people.
It was a refreshing "hike" even though I prefer some vertical on my treks. 
Not bad for some exercise: 5 1/2 miles + 12K steps.


AllTrails: