Saturday, May 29, 2021

Hike: Hamilton Mountain III, Bonneville, WA

 

AllTrails map

Length: 6.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,060 feet
Type: Out & Back
Steps: ~22,311


Getting There

I'm really starting to get familiar with this route on Hwy 14. I stop in Camas to fuel up and get snacks. Then, I cruise out passed Washougal. From the edge of town, it's about 10 min to the Cape Horn Trailhead and 20 min to Beacon Rock & Hamilton Mountain.

When I got to Beacon Rock there were cars everywhere and dozens walking up to the trailhead; the weather was amazing and it was a holiday weekend. I took a chance on parking anyway. 

Score! Only cars/people with WA Discover Pass into the parking lot. I got the last spot (at the time; lots of turnover).

The Hike

The trail was dry in spots it's been muddy on the last couple of visits. The Staircase at Rodney Falls was even pretty good.

As usual, the crowds quickly thinned out above the falls. I felt good on the way up to Little Hamilton and beyond.

When I reached the "top", it had a snack and water but the bugs were pestering me a bit. (Note to self: bring bug spray and/or mosquito net. I ventured down the trail (north) but stopped after 100 yds.

It took about 2 hrs to walk up and about 1.5 hrs on the way down.

On the way down, I ventured out on the Little Hamilton, above the rocks I'd stopped at below. Holy Cow! Amazing views.

Beacon Rock & Columbia River from Little Hamilton

Bonneville Dam

(Big) Hamilton Mountain

Selfie w/ Bonneville Dam

pano (south view)

U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey marker

AllTrails: Explore Hamilton Mountain Trail | AllTrails

***

Mea culpa: A group of four near the top asked about a "loop". I told them I only know about the "up & back" route, per AllTrails; the Hamilton Mountain Trail. My remark about checking the trail map lines on their phone (GPS) was meant to sound encouraging but probably came off as sarcastic.

Well, it turns out there *IS* a loop. The Saddle, Hardy Creek. Oops.

This faux pax was the motivation to do my research and return to "conquer" the loop.

Update: I'm ready to be a great trail guide having hike the entire loop system (mostly; minus spur trails).