Sunday, May 30, 2021

Hike: The Narrows & Mud Lake, Sauvie Island, OR

 



Length: 4.14 miles
Elevation Gain: negligible
Type: Out & Back
Steps: 9,064


Getting There

My legs were a bit sore from the hike the day before. It felt good to get out on such a nice day. The Wapato Trail parking lot was full so I keep going. I was just planning to see how far up the road I could get. The gate was closed right after the pavement last time I drove there (a few weeks ago?).

I barely made it to the dirt road because I had to relieve myself. Whew! 

I drove into the park and cruised along. Pretty mellow for a holiday weekend. Good! 

I saw a sign about Rules & Regs near the trap shooting range. I was the only car. I saw two tires tracks disappear around a corner. Looked hike-able. I wondered if it'd get close to the cattle that were grazing. It was a bit weary.

The Hike

I suited up with my boots, poles and snacks. Donned my straw hat and put a layer of sunscreen on my tattooed arms.

I quickly found a marker that said 1-4 this way (with an arrow) and 5-6. I had no idea but I figured it was trail marker.

Some jackass nearby was letting their puppy bark and bark and bark and bark and bark. It was incessant. It was far away but shattered the otherwise peaceful scene. I broke and hollered for them to STFU! I decided to go in the other direction. I was dismayed to find so many shotgun shells on the ground. Fuck heads!

I found the first bird blind. I thought how cool it was but realized it was for killing birds not watching them. It was numbered #5.

As I made my way along the Narrows, I found #4, 3, 2, and finally #1.

I saw some cranes (white ones). Lots of birds but no fowl. 

A family in a canoe stopped briefly at the shore of West Arm/Steelman Lake. 

I had to turn around because the lake had overrun the road. I could have gone to the point but would have gotten my boots wet & muddy.