Monday, May 31, 2021

Hike: Hardy Creek-Hamilton Mountain, Bonneville, WA

 

AllTrails map

Length: 9.28 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,467 feet
Type: Loop
Steps: ~22,877


Getting There

I could have gone anywhere. Walking around Sauvie Island was cool but I wanted some elevation gain. After learning about the Saddle and the other trails around Beacon Rock, it wanted to "conquer" the places I'd missed.

If it was crazy to go on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, what about going on the actual day! May 31, 2021. Just like Saturday, when I got to Beacon Rock there were cars everywhere and dozens walking up to the trailhead; the weather was amazing. I took a chance on parking anyway. 

Score! Again, only cars/people with WA Discover Pass into the parking lot. I got the last spot (at the time; lots of turnover). Hell yea!

The Hike

The trail was dry in spots it's been muddy on the last couple of visits, same as last time (Saturday). The Staircase at Rodney Falls was a bit muddy.

After Rodney Falls, I took the Hardy Creek Trail. This is amazing. Not too steep. Nice gradual climb deeper into the forest. You can hear the water but not any easy views. 

When I got to the Equestrian Trail junction, I kept going north up Upper Hardy Creek. I stopped briefly at Don's Cutoff trail and the Bridge Trail. I could hear some people taking photos and laughing.

Upward and onward.

There was another trail toward the end of the loop but it's not named on AllTrails. I stayed on the named trail.

I finally reached the other end of that spur trail; it wouldn't have saved much time and was pretty overgrown.

I didn't take any photos along the way but when got to the Saddle I had to get out my camera.

Emerging from the Upper Hardy Creek trail to Saddle

Hamilton Saddle

Bonneville Dam

Look back at trail junction

Saddle Pano

Saddle

Table Mountain

Looking west at Columbia River

The trail between the Saddle and the top of Hamilton Mountain is pretty steep, the last uphill climb before a great descent.

It was very rewarding to reach the "top", having come from the other direction.

The views were just as amazing as Saturday. I took the Little Hamilton detour again. There were a few people chillin'. I waved and keep going.


AllTrails: Explore Hamilton Mountain Trail and Hardy Creek & Upper Hardy Creek | AllTrails